Go Down

Topic: New to Arduino/Project feasibility (Read 400 times) previous topic - next topic

gcohen

Hello all,

I am very interested in starting to work with Arduino boards, and I have been trying to come up with a good project to get me started. I have a strong technical background through working in IT (desktop and network tech) along with some basic programming skills, so I am not going into this totally blind. I would like to use this as an opportunity to not only build something cool and useful, but to learn something new and maybe make a hobby out of it.

I came up with an idea for a simple and small remote to control my Android phone's (Galaxy Nexus rooted with JB 4.1) various music apps in situations where using the touchscreen is impossible or impractical (snowboarding, biking, driving etc.). A while ago I was looking to purchase a remote online, but couldn't find one that was reasonably priced that would work well for my situation. That's when I decided to make this a project and make my own.

What I would like the remote's main feature to be is big and easy to navigate buttons for play/pause, skip track and previous track. If possible I would like to have a volume control as well, but that is not a requirement. I was thinking this could be done with normal push buttons, or a small joystick that would work by pressing up for play, down for pause, right for skip track and left for previous track (or something similar to that).

I do not have a specific requirement for how the remote would communicate with the phone. My educated guess is there are 3 options - USB, Bluetooth or AUX/Headphone jack. I am not sure how the aux/headphone jack option would work, but I have seen it done before with commercial products. Whatever is the most efficient and practicle solution works for me.

I am looking for advice on the following few questions:
- Is this feasible?
- What parts/supplies will I need?
- Where should I get started?

If anyone out there is interested in this project, I would love to have a partner, mentor or even a fellow newbie work with me on this. Just make a post here stating your interest and we can figure out how to get in contact. Outside of that, any replies on the above questions or the project in general would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading, and I am looking forward to any responses!

Goofballtech

MIght sound bad but i think the place for you to start is doing a lot of reading.

i have done quite a few arduino projects of various levels over the years and i have done one android app (not counting "hello world" stuff).

I would have to say this would not be a first project. Even with IT experience and general programming it's a big job.

Perhaps get a starter kit for arduino and work through some projects. Then get eclipse or processing and make a small android app to get your feet wet on how things are handles on the phone side.

Some reading about AVRCP.

MichaelMeissner

It really depends how you can control your phone.  Start from there and work backwards.  I suspect once you've identified a particular method that will work with your phone, it would be straightforward to provide an arduino interface.  So search for a way to control the phone, particularly with an open source app.

More often an android/arduino combination is to put the control on the phone, and use the arduino as a driver/sensor, such as http://www.buildcircuit.com/amarino-arduino-android-shield/

Go Up