Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Low Pass Filter for Serial  (Read 1278 times)
Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I can't find from the protocol analyzer?
Yes most of what I said.

That will only work with digital signals, you have to turn your 8MHz signal into digital signals before that will do anything for you. So you need an oscilloscope, but what is worst from your point of view you need to know what the readings mean when you get to see them.

View Profile

Thanks. The information is sent it in short bursts.  So I will need a storage oscilliscope (with memory functions) as it's not a continuous stream.  Those are even more costly even if it's used.

Are there any disadvantage of using a serial to digital converter and then using this protocol analyzer (reposted since we are on new page):

www.saleae.com

I should be able to convert it into ASCII characters with a good (using different trials to get good) digital signal.  Correct?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 08:26:33 pm by jjrr007 » Logged

Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

I would not go for the protocol analyser, you already know it is an ayshronous serial protocol.
All you need to know is the modulation polarity and the baud rate and you can get that from a scope.

View Profile

Thanks. Since the data is in short bursts (less than 200 bits per use), should I buy a storage oscilliscope or regular oscilliscope?

If you can suggest a couple Tektronix models for this use, that would be very helpful .

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 06:25:18 am by jjrr007 » Logged

Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

should I buy a storage oscilliscope or regular oscilliscope?
How much are they paying you that you can afford to but an oscilloscope to do the job and still have money for you?

All digital scopes are storage scopes. You would not need one if they told you a proper tale. How competent is this company any way that they can't do a simple thing like this themselves?
If it were me I would run away from these alarm bells ringing. My guess is that they end up not paying you.

View Profile

Thanks for the reply. I get paid per hour and am expected to have my own equipment.  I can ask them to pay for some equipment if I really want to,  but I would have to give it to them back when done (as it's their equipment then).  I may need this for the future- that's why i want to buy it. The company is working on other parts of the project and focusing on other projects.

Can the digital ones read analog and vice versa?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 08:58:26 am by jjrr007 » Logged

Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Can the digital ones read analog and vice versa?
Yes

View Profile

I am all set.  Thank you

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: