Go Down

Topic: red and black wires can go anywhere right ? (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

Graynomad

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Boffin1

The big surprise for me is how the number of idiots has steadily increased the past 40 years.

I refuse to be drawn into discussions about the South African Government  :-)

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

wizdum

Had the same problem with my early prop designs. I spent so much time making the case bulletproof, and securing wires so they couldn't be pulled out or broken (these things are going to be in the middle of a simulated war, after-all), only to have the customer plug the battery in backwards (I used a AA battery holder with a 9v snap connector on it). It didn't power on at first, so he tried connecting it backwards. My props are really simple, so he was only out a LM7805, and it was easy enough for me to add a diode to my design. Never underestimate the ability of people to find ways to break your system.
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."

Electronic props for Airsoft, paintball, and laser tag -> www.nightscapetech.com

MichaelMeissner

The big surprise for me is how the number of idiots has steadily increased the past 40 years.

I refuse to be drawn into discussions about the South African Government  :-)

The US writer Mark Twain (real name Samuel Clemmens) wrote in his biography:
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

I suspect it is common around the world to think government (and business) leaders are idiots.

I've heard it said, that amount of intelligence throughout the universe is constant, but the population is growing...

Grumpy_Mike

Never underestimate the ability of people to find ways to break your system.

My son makes a living doing that. After years of breaking my stuff, he is now a test engineer and breaks other peoples stuff for money.
He says his greatest skills are inventing new ways of abusing stuff, things that the developers would never think of doing.

that amount of intelligence throughout the universe is constant,

Favorite quote from a Monty Python song:-
Pray that there is intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's bugger all down here on Earth.

kf2qd

Create a better way of idiot proofing it and all they do is create a better idiot...

Boffin1

Well the 35 replacement chips should arrive tomorrow, so I spent a couple of hours on every electronic guys favourite job,
desoldering 700 legs to remove the dead chips,
Sore eyes,   sore thumb ( from arthritus and a solder pump ) ,  I do hope the guy doesnt reverse the supply again,  GRRRR   :-(
With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Graynomad

Sep 20, 2012, 04:06 am Last Edit: Sep 20, 2012, 12:11 pm by Graynomad Reason: 1
I feel your pain, thank goodness I'm on another continent or I may be tempted to drive over and help :)

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Boffin1

We could have met half way in Singapore ?

Jantje

Well the 35 replacement chips should arrive tomorrow, so I spent a couple of hours on every electronic guys favourite job,
desoldering 700 legs to remove the dead chips,
Sore eyes,   sore thumb ( from arthritus and a solder pump ) ,  I do hope the guy doesnt reverse the supply again,  GRRRR   :-(

Isn't he helping?
Jantje
Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

GoForSmoke

That's just Murphy noticing you didn't use sockets!

Nick Gammon on multitasking Arduinos:
1) http://gammon.com.au/blink
2) http://gammon.com.au/serial
3) http://gammon.com.au/interrupts

Boffin1

IC sockets are handy, but dont like being soaked in conformal coating, its Hobsons choice like having a Molex plug. These units are for tropical Africa and I dont want them corroding......

KirAsh4

Been married 34 years and not even time off for good behavior.

Remember when you said 'till death do us part'?  Eventually you'll realize you're looking forward to that. :)

Just kidding man.  34 years is a great run.  Here's to at least another 34 and more!  Cheers!

Boffin1

So after I replaced all 35 burnt out LED drivers, and the micro, I took it all back to the factory yesterday, but ran out of time to connect it up myself, so I said I will come back this morning.

I told the same guy ( who got the red and black wires revered )not to plug anything in till I have checked it.

They would lay all 36 displays out on tables in the factory, for this morning.

There was me worried about humidity and corrosion in Central Africa, but lo and behold I get in there this morning, and 4 of the displays are soaked in pidgeon crap !   all over the new chips, and the LEDs.

So I bring back the effected boards and washed them off with meths, and will spray them with clear laquer when they are really dry ( and tested )

They have always had a pidgeon problem in the factory, but didnt think about it.

They have now hung sheets of bubblewrap above the displays while testing -  hindsight !

This has turned into the job from hell, but at least I did spot a little bug in the software that I am busy with now.  The next order is going to be massive, so I have to bite the bullet for now ....  :-(

Jantje

Boffin1
I'm amazed about your positive attitude. I think I would have considered getting a shotgun instead of meths when I saw the "pidgeon crap" ]:D
I'm really pleased you share this story. Makes me in my little perfect world quite aware there are really differences between countries.
Maybe I should go to foreign countries to learn real life  8)
Best regards
Jantje
Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

Go Up