Go Down

Topic: avrdude + usbasp = "cannot set sck period" (Read 15686 times) previous topic - next topic

Scott Baker

I picked up a (an?) usbasp from Ebay and I'm having problems getting it to program my Duemillinove.

Linux recognizes it, and the permissions are set correctly but when I try and use avrdude I get an sck error every time. I have the usbasp plugged in to my PC, and the pins mapped to the ICSP header on the Duemillinove. When I plug it in, the power light on the Duemillinove turns on, so I know I'm halfway there. When I run avrdude the TX/RX lights on my Duemillinove blink really quick and I get:

Code: [Select]
bakers@snikt(~)
:avrdude -c usbasp -p ATMEGA328P

avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Is there a step I'm missing?

CrossRoads

Were you able to confirm the firmware is updated?
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Scott Baker

I looked in to that, and to upgrade the firmware requires another programmer. The last firmware available was release almost 18 months ago. I was just assuming/hoping that it would be semi-current.

Before I went down that road I wanted a sanity check that I was doing the right steps. I guess I could try Windows, to see if it works there?

CrossRoads

My USB ASP programmer works in windows.

http://www.mdfly.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=415

I don't use unix/linux/apple. Can't advise you there.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Scott Baker

I picked up a 10 pin to 6 pin converter instead of trying to jumper direct to my board and now it works fine. I triple checked my pin outs, but obviously I missed something.

It's working now, thanks for the sanity check.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy