Go Down

Topic: Small-run PCB assembly (Read 13 times) previous topic - next topic

pico

Sep 17, 2012, 08:11 pm Last Edit: Sep 17, 2012, 08:13 pm by pico Reason: 1
These days, there are lots of options for getting PCB board made up, but what if you want to skip the DIY soldering and get a bunch of boards actually assembled? I appreciate this is going to require minimum quantity runs to make it even remotely economical, but what are those minimum quantities, and what are the ins-and-outs of the process?
WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

Houser636

You send the company your gerber files, and a build of materials.  If you have any other instructions on assembly also send them.  They will be able to quote you with this.  The company i talked to had a minimum of 20, but prices weren't practical until 100.  I have everything set up,  but have not yet had a fully assembled run made.  Hope this info helps, and good luck.

CrossRoads

pico,
www.cbas-usa.com can do small batches of board assembly.
They won't do turnkey, you have to send them all material, and a check before they send your built board back (no paypal or visa yet), on your fed-ex account (easy to set up, with credit card billing).
They charge $350-400 (depends on board size & number of components) for stencil creation and pick & place programming. They prefer all SMD, but will do thruhole as well. Cost/board otherwise is <$10 depending on size. Send them your gerbers for a quote.
They did the blue board here for me:
'1284 with LiPo charger, Arduino style headers, Xbee socket
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

pico

Great info, thanks guys.

Bob, what size run did you do on the blue boards with CBAS?
WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

CrossRoads

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Go Up