Go Down

Topic: How to design layout for coin battery holder like this one? (Read 211 times) previous topic - next topic

liudr

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Keystone-Electronics/3000/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtT9MhkajLHrnU1d13jcSgSROM9zhZkF8A%3d

Adafruit has some breakout boards and shields designed with similar battery holders for 12mm coin batteries. I always wonder if I would get poor contact at the negative post of the battery. The negative is pushed against a pad on the PCB. According to the spec sheet (see mouser page), you just make a square pad of at least a certain size and that's it. I have bought sd card data logger kits from adafruit before and remember the tutorial said to put a blob of solder on the center pad for better contact. I also vaguely remember (maybe I asked before) that the tension could make the holder rip the pads on the PCB.

So if you have some experience with this type of holders, can you comment on how you designed your boards? Thanks.

My alternative is this one:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/S8411-45R/952-1745-1-ND/3131073

Twice as expensive.

luisilva

I had used that kind of battery holders and without problem. You only have to make sure that the battery can't slide away from the holder, due a drop of the equipment in the floor, for example. If you are afraid of the solder pads, you can use this type. Is equal but with hole instead of smd solder pad.

liudr

I had used that kind of battery holders and without problem. You only have to make sure that the battery can't slide away from the holder, due a drop of the equipment in the floor, for example. If you are afraid of the solder pads, you can use this type. Is equal but with hole instead of smd solder pad.
Keystone low profile. Thanks. I thought about that.

Did you have to put a blob of solder on the circuit board for better contact? I don't know how to do that if I have my boards assembled on a pick-n-place machine. I'll probably try the expensive one and worry about cost once my prototype is working.

luisilva

Mine boards they are solder by hand and I put the blob of solder without problem. If you want to assembler your boards in a pick-n-place, I think if you leave in your project solder paste in the place of the negative contact you will not have problems with it, but you have this thing too.

liudr

Thanks for the link to the negative contacts (took me a while to get back to US mouser site). If I use the contacts, I don't know how to pick-n-place since this part should be placed first, then the holder? Thanks for your help!

luisilva

Thanks for the link to the negative contacts (took me a while to get back to US mouser site).
(...)
I'm sorry about that. I follow your first link and filtering by manufacturer I get this (because I remember to had seen this kind of contacts in the past).

(...) If I use the contacts, I don't know how to pick-n-place since this part should be placed first, then the holder? Thanks for your help!
Yes, this part must be placed before the holder itself. I never did this but I think it can be done in the program of the pick-n-place machine. Other option is place the negative contact in the machine and the positive by hand, or the 2 contacts by hand. It all depends on the volume and cost of the production.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy