Go Down

Topic: Can you do DRQFN without a pick and place machine? (Read 292 times) previous topic - next topic

liudr

I am just curious. I want to make something small but don't know if DRQFN can be placed by hand. There seems to be no way to see if I get good alignment. Anyone did this by hand? Thanks.
Serial LCD keypad panel,phi_prompt user interface library,SDI-12 USB Adapter

westfw

(Dual row QFN package)
Alignment-wise, if the outer pins are aligned, the inner ones will be too.
Paste placement might be fun.  Surface tension should help with positioning.
I wouldn't do it, though.

spycatcher2k

I have managed this type of package before, using a stencil cut from Mylar to lay the paste, and a hot air gun, Had to rework 3 out of 20, so it is manageable, but I don't like doing them.
Drew.
http://www.uk-pcb.co.uk - My UK Based PCB Fab & Assembly Company
Design & Assembly work undertaken - Arduino repairs & testing - PM for details.

liudr

OK thanks to you both. I might stay away from it for now. What I'm considering doing is to replace the 328P-AU with a 1284P on an Arduino NANO board. This would "upgrade" the SRAM and FLASH of a NANO footprint board. Who knows? Maybe there is market for it. The QTFP footprint 1284P gets very very close to the headers. If I have time, what I might try is to reduce the header pin hole's outer diameter to make some space.

Isaac96

Do not PM me for help. I will delete immediately.
CONNECT THE GROUNDS!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F

CrossRoads

I think I'd add the regulator and USB/Serial chip to a DIP package instead.  Need the space for the pins anyway, yes?
I  think separate works better, unless there's nothing else in your system. How many designs are just a Nano, and nothing else?
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

liudr

I was just thinking about a nano upgrade, more SRAM and more FLASH. Not gonna really do it. Fall semester just started. I'll only maintain my data logger project.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy