Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Small-run PCB assembly  (Read 12446 times)
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

These days, there are lots of options for getting PCB board made up, but what if you want to skip the DIY soldering and get a bunch of boards actually assembled? I appreciate this is going to require minimum quantity runs to make it even remotely economical, but what are those minimum quantities, and what are the ins-and-outs of the process?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:13:58 pm by pico » Logged

WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

View Profile

You send the company your gerber files, and a build of materials.  If you have any other instructions on assembly also send them.  They will be able to quote you with this.  The company i talked to had a minimum of 20, but prices weren't practical until 100.  I have everything set up,  but have not yet had a fully assembled run made.  Hope this info helps, and good luck.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

pico,
www.cbas-usa.com can do small batches of board assembly.
They won't do turnkey, you have to send them all material, and a check before they send your built board back (no paypal or visa yet), on your fed-ex account (easy to set up, with credit card billing).
They charge $350-400 (depends on board size & number of components) for stencil creation and pick & place programming. They prefer all SMD, but will do thruhole as well. Cost/board otherwise is <$10 depending on size. Send them your gerbers for a quote.
They did the blue board here for me:
'1284 with LiPo charger, Arduino style headers, Xbee socket
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

God Member
View Profile

Great info, thanks guys.

Bob, what size run did you do on the blue boards with CBAS?

WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

China
View Profile

@pico

Here is another option for pcb assembly, you can email pcb@iteadstudio.com along with your detailed requirements.

Best regards,

Wendy

Make innovation easier!
http://imall.iteadstudio.com/

God Member
View Profile

Here is another option for pcb assembly, you can email pcb@iteadstudio.com along with your detailed requirements.

I'll certainly check that out; I didn't realise iteadstudio offered an assembly service as well.

View Profile

Here is a great PCB Company that might be able to help you out if you are still looking.   http://www.semigen.net/pcb-assembly/

View Profile

I used PCBCart.com
They make PCB's and also have assembly plant. Very reasonable, under $2 for an Uno type SMD board excluding components. Even with components it was reasonable.

God Member
View Profile

I used PCBCart.com
They make PCB's and also have assembly plant. Very reasonable, under $2 for an Uno type SMD board excluding components. Even with components it was reasonable.

Thanks for the pointer. $2 assembly per board sounds very cost effective. Does the $2 include the PCB, or is that additional/needs to be supplied by customer?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 08:07:03 pm by pico » Logged

Seattle WA
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I use a PCA Corp (http://pcacorporation.com/) in Bellevue WA. They charge $300 for the stencil (and presumably programming, although that's not broken out) and board cost is dependent on complexity. You need to negotiate to get the best prices out of them, but it's usually $5-$10 per board for all SMT in quantities 100 - 300. Through hole assembly costs more, because it requires more hand work. They aren't the cheapest, but their quality is excellent. IME, their yield even with QFNs and similarly difficult components is 100%. I haven't used them for BGA work, because I avoid BGAs like the plague.

London, UK
View Profile

I use a company in china for my assembly.  They charge me about $6 per board and a setup cost of about $250.  That includes the manufacture of the PCB as well. 
Good quality boards.  Shipping to the UK normally costs me about £35
The contact email is
info@junhao-cn.com

China
PCB manufacturer
View Profile

Another choice from China

Agile Circuit Co., Ltd     sales@agipcb.com

Agile Circuit Co., Ltd aims to be an effective and efficient source of PCB for electronic industry! www.agipcb.com

it's time to...
View Profile

I think that Elecrow is a good choice.
They don't only provide PCB fabricate service without charge extra fees for color options,
they also provide PCB Assembly service.
http://www.elecrow.com/services-c-73/prototyping-service-c-73_120/pcb-assembly-p-366.html

Hope you find this useful.

Northwest Missouri
View Profile

Advanced Circuits
They provide a free PCB software.  I think the minimum for a 2-layer board is like $33 with 4 board minimum.   But double check me on that.
http://www.4pcb.com

I happened across another someone else mentioned elsewhere:
http://www.oshpark.com/

Michael
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 07:01:42 pm by mrmonteith » Logged

Working on instrumentation amplifier for experimental rocketry to measure thrust and chamber pressure.  Could be used where instrumentation

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: