Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Sept 17th - "Due" Day!  (Read 2428 times)
Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I've argued that this sort of mistake is just not on many times,

Not sure I understand what you are saying here. Care to rephrase?

We need to start an Aussie -> English dictionary, or we're never going to get anywhere.

"Just not on" = "Simply unacceptable"  OK, I don't get it, but will except it.

"Stuff up" = "Egregious error"  I like FUBAR, but I could live with this one.

"Go for broke" = "Go for it"    Hardly a difference there mate.

"Flat out like a lizard on a rock" = "Really busy" Doesn't translate, sorry.

That does help a little, thanks!  smiley-wink

But about that last phrase, how is a lizard sunning itself on a rock equal to being really busy? Maybe your lizards are more active then our variety?

Lefty

God Member
View Profile

It's a colourful extension of "flat out", as in "we were working flat out" == "we were were working as hard as we could".

If you've ever seen a lizard sunning itself on rock, you'll appreciate it's hard to get more "flat out" than a lizard sunning itself on a rock! (Maximise surface area to absorb greatest amount of solar energy per unit time -- who says lizards don't have engineering sensibilities!)

Edit: Actually, I think FUBAR is a bit strong as a translation of "stuff up" -- a "stuff up" can denote a common garden-variety mistake, whereas FUBAR describes something a bit more exceptional. It's the "beyond all recognition" element that makes the difference, I think.

But translation becomes art when trying to find the "mot juste".
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:03:15 am by pico » Logged

WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

God Member
View Profile

For me, I just ordered Teensy 3.0's and I have a Rasberry-PI, so it whether Due ships or not is not a burning issue.

Yeah, I got an RPI (and want to get another now they've released ver 2) -- lots of fun to be had there.

And Paul's Teensy 3.0 looks awesome. Got get a few -- just because.

I found it interesting to reflect that Paul -- essentially a one man band (albeit obviously a very talented one) -- has managed to get his Teensy 3.0 out before Arduino could get their Due out. It looks like the design and engineering challenges were more challenging with the Teensy 3.0, too. All of which makes me wonder if the showstopper behind the scenes, whatever that might be, isn't a purely technical one. 

WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

field road, jupiter creek
Arduino rocks
View Profile

"Flat out like a lizard drinking" makes more sense, if you've ever seen a lizard drink anyways.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

Like this you mean?

______
Rob
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 08:41:20 am by Graynomad » Logged

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

God Member
View Profile

Beautiful.

Peoples Republic of Cantabrigia
God Member
Arduino happiness
View Profile

I also ordered a Maple Leaf and a Teensy ARM.

Not because I expect to work on them ASAP, but because I wanted to learn about them. Plus, Paul suggested buying a ARM teensy as the best way to support him for fixing the malloc.c String bug.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

Beautiful.
Thanks, he's up at Bell Gorge in the Kimberley, NW West Aus.

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

if the showstopper behind the scenes ... isn't a purely technical one.
I've NEVER thought that the delays were due to purely technical issues!  Best guess, having Atmel "help" with the design wasn't as much of a timesaver as they had hoped.  (Starting with "we think you should use the new SAM3X chip instead of the one you had originally intended..." (Check out that SAM3X availability at your favorite distributor...))

(teensy3 has a similar problem, but was able to switch to a different chip late in the design.  That was just a matter a particular packaging being late...)

"Best is the enemy of Better."
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 10:44:08 am by westfw » Logged

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

"Flat out like a lizard drinking" makes more sense, if you've ever seen a lizard drink anyways.

No, but I've seem them dive underwater to feed on a Discovery channel show, Galapagos Island variety I think. Lizards are very underestimated in their adaption abilities I think.

field road, jupiter creek
Arduino rocks
View Profile

years ago, camping in the Flinders Ranges, I opened the bonnet on my Suzuki LJ50 and found about 2 meters of Lace Goanna curled up on top of my engine!

it hissed, obviously hadn't had his morning coffee, I put the bonnet down, made another coffee for myself.
When the sun warmed up the engine bay enough he crawled out, looked at us, walked off to find breakfast!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: