Go Down

Topic: What is the proper procedure to mount/unmount SD card with SD library? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

liudr

I am having some doubts that I did mount/unmount of SD card correctly. I often get errors when using Sd cards on adafruit data logger shield, such as not able to begin.

I suspect that just inserting the SD card and pulling it out is not the proper procedure.

Before I can unmount an SD card, do I need to call any function to stop it?
If I insert the card again, do I need to start it before reading from it?
If I have opened a file to write on the SD card and then remove the SD card, when I insert the card again, will I be able to just continue to write on the same file or do I need to reopen it?

I wish someone has answered my question about the whereabout of the SD library manual.

PaulS

Before I can unmount an SD card, do I need to call any function to stop it?

You need to close any open files.

If I insert the card again, do I need to start it before reading from it?

No. The device has no way of knowing that the card has been inserted/removed.

If I have opened a file to write on the SD card and then remove the SD card, when I insert the card again, will I be able to just continue to write on the same file or do I need to reopen it?

Neither. Removing the card without closing the file corrupted it.

I wish someone has answered my question about the whereabout of the SD library manual.

There are a number of variations of "the SD library". You weren't specific enough.

In any case, nothing that the library does differs in any radical way from reading/writing files on a PC, except that the media is removable.

liudr

Thank you Paul. I will make some changes to my code to see if closing and reopening the file will eliminate all the errors.

I am using this library from adafruit:

https://github.com/adafruit/SD

I looked "everywhere" but can't find a documentation. Hope someone can point me to it.

liudr

Something I got from adafruit forum:

Once you remove the card the serial connection is broken / severed and you must re initialize the connection.

Documentation: http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/SD

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy