Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Author Topic: Karma is back  (Read 10194 times)
Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Game the system? I don't think you can karma yourself
No but you could set up another account to do the karmaing if you actually cared that much about it.
With your karma of 128 and this statement I get suspicious  smiley-twist
Have you tried? smiley-twist

Best regards
Jantje

The clue was in the "if you cared " bit
Most of that Kama was from last time where I had 80 something positave and an equal ammount of negitave giving me an overall Kama of zero.
The problem is there is no feedback mechanism so it can't affect your behavoure because you don't know what you did right or wrong.

Edison Member
You do some programming to solve a problem, and some to solve it in a particular language. (CC2)
View Profile

The problem is there is no feedback mechanism so it can't affect your behavoure because you don't know what you did right or wrong.

IOW Karma is useless... smiley-razz

Belgium
Edison Member
Arduino rocks; but with my plugin it can fly rocking the world ;-)
View Profile

@Grumpy
I noticed the "if you actually cared". I was only joking. From previous encounters I would say you know; but I have the impression others do not.

IOW Karma is useless... smiley-razz
I agree that this makes Karma useless as a learning tool to the receiver.
It still shows you how much your positive actions are appreciated. You do not have a clue on the negative ones. And you also have to take into account the possibility of "I don't give karma to this **** who posted 2 days ago an anoying answer"
It is however a tool to be used with caution for the newbee who can use the Karma (in combination with the number of posts) to get an idea of how thrust worthy the info by a member is.
For instance: if 1 member with Karma 1 states it is A and 3 members with Karma 20+ say is is not A; I would know what to believe.

Best regards
Jantje

Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

Edison Member
You do some programming to solve a problem, and some to solve it in a particular language. (CC2)
View Profile

It is however a tool to be used with caution for the newbee who can use the Karma (in combination with the number of posts) to get an idea of how thrust worthy the info by a member is.
For instance: if 1 member with Karma 1 states it is A and 3 members with Karma 20+ say is is not A; I would know what to believe.

Maybe I'm just being overoptimistic, but I usually feel like I can tell "good" responses from "bad" ones by just reading them in context, and possibly looking at a few other of either author's posts (and yes, the number of posts is relevant).

But I agree that used with caution, as you suggest, karma could be helpful to some.

Miramar Beach, Florida
Faraday Member
View Profile

If you want to get rid of something that is worthless, drop the "posts" number from all users. There are some here that post a lot, but have nothing to say. At least karma is awarded from others, not yourself.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

If you want to get rid of something that is worthless, drop the "posts" number from all users. There are some here that post a lot, but have nothing to say. At least karma is awarded from others, not yourself.

Perhaps worthless to you, but at best that is a subjective opinion. If we dropped the post count how would we ever know which members are the most prolific in the site statistic page linked below? I once 'won' a $200 credit from the Arduino store for being in the top five posters at the time, so I could personally never call post counts worthless, now could I?

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=stats

Lefty

Miramar Beach, Florida
Faraday Member
View Profile

Maybe I was not clear. Quantity does not guarantee quality. Paying someone to post is not a good way to get forum participation. Not worthless to you, but totally worthless to me. Just my opinion.

edit:
@retrolefty: I was not referring to your participation in the forum. I think you and many others do a fine job. I did not need to see your post count to tell that. Same with fat16lib. Unlike you, and even me, he has a very low post count, because his posts are quality.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 09:27:59 am by SurferTim » Logged

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
View Profile

Maybe I was not clear. Quantity does not guarantee quality.
Nor does it preclude it. I would suggest that there is no direct correlation between post counts and post quality. Karma attempts to measure one thing and post count measures something else. One is free to use such metrics, or not, as you wish.

Paying someone to post is not a good way to get forum participation. Not worthless to you, but totally worthless to me. Just my opinion.
Well it was a one time thank you from the Arduino folks and I'm pretty sure it won't be repeated ever again, at least not based on post counts. The forum was already very large with growing membership so I don't think trying to 'buy forum participation' was a reason for them doing it.

edit:
@retrolefty: I was not referring to your participation in the forum.
I assumed you weren't. But as you did not name names there is no why that I can see if your negative attitude towards displaying total post counts is reasonable or not.  smiley-wink

I think you and many others do a fine job. I did not need to see your post count to tell that. Same with fat16lib. Unlike you, and even me, he has a very low post count, because his posts are quality.

Well I always read the post contents before deciding if I think a posting is worthwhile or not. I just think you feel that total post counts implies something other then what it actually measures. To me the only possible implication I might take away from my post count is that I don't have a real life.  smiley-wink

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

To me the only possible implication I might take away from my post count is that I don't have a real life. 
And I'm worse it appears!  Living the hobby to the max I guess smiley-cool

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Ayer, Massachusetts, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

To me the only possible implication I might take away from my post count is that I don't have a real life. 
And I'm worse it appears!  Living the hobby to the max I guess smiley-cool
What is this 'real-life' people talk about?  smiley-cool

I've heard tell of a big blue room that some people refer to as outside.  smiley-lol

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Real-life - I think that's the job that pays for the hobby  smiley-twist

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
View Profile

Not if one is retired, then a well funded IRA does the heavy lifting.  smiley-grin

Lefty

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Got a ways to go for that still - maybe when the kid is out of college, in 5 years.

Ayer, Massachusetts, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

It depends, those of us that work for big organizations (corporations, governments, etc.) can often times feel that work is just another virtual universe which has its own rules and regulations, that might be only lightly coupled with reality.   smiley-money

I recall when I first entered cube-ville many years ago, I thought there should be a big pile of cheese at the end of one of the cubes, because I felt like a rat in a pysch. experiment.  smiley-cool

Wisconsin
Edison Member
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!
View Profile

Not to be off topic but is there any advice from the ones that have been in the industry for a while that you could share with a student who is studying to go into the industry soon?

Accelerate to 88 miles per hour.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Jump to: