Go Down

Topic: SoftwareSerial with ATTiny84 using ATtiny library (Read 51 times) previous topic - next topic

daywalkerdha

I already ordered a zif-header to be able to remove the 328 easily and without damage.

If you are interested, I have a version of the ArduinoISP sketch that makes what you are trying to do much simpler.

What does your modified sketch do to make it simpler and would it allow me to program the external micro and still get serial data without changing the connections every time?

Coding Badly

What does your modified sketch do to make it simpler and would it allow me to program the external micro and still get serial data without changing the connections every time?

The sketch provides a "serial relay" which has two on-wire options... the standard TTL-serial and something I call Knock-Bang.  The Knock-Bang protocol is designed specifically for debugging a tiny processor when using an Arduino as a programmer.  It's more robust and faster than TTL-serial.

In either case, you don't need to fiddle with the wiring.  MISO (one of the programming lines) is used for serial communications.

daywalkerdha

That sounds great, could you post the library here? I'll try the serial interface without the 328 once the zif socket arrives.

daywalkerdha

Ok, I couldn't wait for the zif socket;) Once I removed the Arduino and plugged the Serial cable into the TX(not RX as before) pin on the Arduino board, everything worked just fine! So it seems as if the Arduino blocks the communication if its inserted and your library should be able to solve my problem.

Coding Badly

Sep 22, 2012, 11:28 pm Last Edit: Sep 22, 2012, 11:47 pm by Coding Badly Reason: 1

The latest version of the sketch (TinyISP) can be downloaded from here...
https://github.com/Coding-Badly/TinyISP/zipball/master

Or, the source can be browsed here...
https://github.com/Coding-Badly/TinyISP

As published, it is a drop-in replacement for the ArduinoISP sketch.  Please download it and try it.  At this point, the only noticeable difference should be shorter upload times.  I will add more instructions later (probably tonight).

Go Up