Go Down

Topic: Really weird LCD bug!!! (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

I'm getting my 11 y/o son into Arduino. I have an LCD shield and uploaded the "Hello World" sketch. Everything worked fine. I then asked him to make it display something else. He changed "Hello World" to "GET LOST!!!" (you know how boys are) The strange thing is, it would not upload. I spent the next 3 hours changing COM ports, baud rates, drivers, WIN7 permissions, stood on one foot, moved the house 3 feet to the left, nothing worked! It would not upload.

In desperation, I went back to basics and uploaded the Blink sketch - uploaded fine. I then uploaded the Fade sketch - no problems. Uploaded Hello World again - working fine now, (pulling hair out). I then changed "Hello World" to "GET LOST!!!" - would not upload! Started to think that maybe the ! was an illegal character, so changed text to "GET LOST" - uploaded fine, AH-HA! Changed text to "GET LOST!" - uploaded fine, changed to "GET LOST!!" - no problems. Changed to "GET LOST!!!" - will not upload!

So it would appear that you cannot have 3 or more exclamation marks in a row. Something screwy with the LCD library perhaps or am I missing something?

Anyone else care to give it a go and try to figure out what's causing the problem?

Which Arduino do you have? I believe three exclamation marks launches some internal process on Mega2560s.

Care to give some error messages and details?

@ dxw00d - You might be onto something, I'm using a MEGA 2560. There's no error codes given, the IDE just says it's uploading, but never completes. I have to unplug the Arduino to regain control.

@ dxw00d - You've hit it on the head. Doing a Google search for "Arduino !!!" turns up these threads...

and for the explanation -

I thought I would be the only silly one to come unstuck by this, but it seems to have trapped a few.

Thanks all for you help - beware the evil !!!

You aren't the first and won't be the last- I spent three hours wondering about this before I found out about the exclamation mark thing, and worse, it was my first go with a Mega. I didn't know I could swear so many times per minute! :smiley-mr-green:

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131