Go Down

Topic: Bathymetry Measuring Apparatus (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

GeoGuy

Hey all:

I am a geoscientist trying to build a device that will measure the depth of the water and correlate the measurement with a lat/long through a GPS receiver. I want the data to then be recorded on an SD card in a CSV file format- or something I can load into an excel file. I want to then put it in a GIS program and make my own bathymetry maps.

I have a transducer, a gps chip, an Arduino Uno, a sensor shield, and an SD card shield.  I am at a loss as to how to connect these, but I am determined to figure it out.

Questions
-I am really curious as to if anyone has done something like this before and wouldn't mind giving a complete novice some advice?
-Can I correlate two serial inputs into a single file through the Arduino?
-I have three example programs, one for each device going into the Arduino (transducer, SD card reader, GPS). Do I need to upload these separately? Or should the program be one continuous line of code?

I'm definitely in over my head and I know this, but ima figure it out. Any advice from a knowledgeable person who has the time is appreciated.

pylon

I am really curious as to if anyone has done something like this before and wouldn't mind giving a complete novice some advice?

Cannot help you with that, not my area.

Can I correlate two serial inputs into a single file through the Arduino?

You can but to keep you from problems with software emulated serial interfaces I'd suggest you get an Arduino Mega 2560 which has 4 hardware serial ports.

I have three example programs, one for each device going into the Arduino (transducer, SD card reader, GPS). Do I need to upload these separately? Or should the program be one continuous line of code?

An Arduino can only run one program at a time. So if you wanna have the functionality of the three programs you have to integrate them into one sketch and upload that.

Far-seeker

I have a transducer, a gps chip, an Arduino Uno, a sensor shield, and an SD card shield.  I am at a loss as to how to connect these, but I am determined to figure it out.

Start by looking in the Playground, the examples for interefacing with hardware usually include some information on physical connections as well as code.  Also regarding the shields, you can search for your specific shields on www.shieldlist.org.  While not perfect, it is perhaps the most comprehensive listing of Arduino compatiable shields on the Internet and includes board pin-outs and links to any documentation provided by the producers of a given shield.  Even if this doesn't give you all the information you need, it should be enough so you can come back with some specific questions. ;)

radman

I am a geoscientist trying to build a device that will measure the depth of the water and correlate the measurement with a lat/long through a GPS receiver.

You should try to be more precise about what you want to do. Most ships have depth sounders and navigation equipment. Are you trying to integrate readings from these? On the other hand the subject line Bathymetry suggests a submersible vehicle, so are you trying to measure its depth, or the depth of water it is in?

As you can see these are very different problems and there are probably loads of different interpretations that can be put on what you wrote. First rule is to try to be precise about the problem and what you want to achieve.

GeoGuy

Thanks for the replies. Bathymetriy is basically like underwater topography. Yes ships have devices to study this- my boat has this, my lab has equipment that costs $100k strictly for this. I simply want to make my own with an arduino. It will be attached to my kayak.
A GPS receiver spits out a NMEA stream, as does a transducer. What I want to do essentially is log a GPS position every time a depth sounding is taken by the transducer. You can then create what amounts to a Cartesian graph representing the terrain of a lake bottom, ocean floor, etc., with X, Y, and Z coordinates provided by the lat and long from the GPS and the depth value from the transducer. You continuously take these measurements, like 2 per second, and go back and forth across the lake and you get a 3D plot that represents the bottom.

So...

I need to plug a transducer into one serial port, a GPS into the other, and have the arduino record the XYZ data coming in into a CSV file on the SD card.

The Mega was a good suggestion. I'm thinking that's gonna have to be the way. And thank you for the info about the programming.

There's a gentleman on here that actually built an autonomous boat that does this. I got the example programs from him. His programs are in three separate sketches, which is why I asked. Plus they're in Scandinavian, so even the non code is indiscernable to me lol. Thanks for the help.

Go Up