Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: FTDI gone? How to bypass it?  (Read 1151 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,
My arduino mega 1280 works propely, that means, it executes the sketch it currently has in its memory.
Problem is, if i plug it to the computer it says "device not recognized", so I assume the bulit-in ftdi converter is dead. How can i still program the atmega using a "common" ftdi adapter??

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Hi,
My arduino mega 1280 works propely, that means, it executes the sketch it currently has in its memory.
Problem is, if i plug it to the computer it says "device not recognized", so I assume the bulit-in ftdi converter is dead. How can i still program the atmega using a "common" ftdi adapter??

By wiring the send and receive TTL serial signal lines from the new ftdi to pins 0 and 1 (or is that 1 and 0, I always get in mixed up  smiley-wink ) on the arduino mega shield connector, plus a ground wire from the FTDI adapter to a arduino ground pin, and you should be back in business.

But first you should check to make sure you don't just have a corrupted or missing FTDI USB driver in your PC. Try deleting it and re-installing the FTDI driver and see if that works before going with a new external FTDI serial cable.

Lefty
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 10:49:57 am by retrolefty » Logged

Chile
Edison Member
Arduino rocks?
View Profile

Also you can buy another ftdi and replace it without too much troubles, just normal soldering iron.

My website: http://ried.cl

View Profile

With a steady hand and good eyesight... smiley

http://fightpc.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/mending-my-mistakes.html

I would not do it that way (with a hot air gun) myself, if you are really 100% sure the chip is dead, carefully cut the legs from the body and then desolder whats left.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 12:30:57 pm by Lakes » Logged

View Profile

It did worked wiring to the serial 0 tx `n` rx, many thanks to all of you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: