Go Down

Topic: 2 Wire temp readers? (Read 805 times) previous topic - next topic

_6ix

Okay, I'm being cheap again an want to use the temp probe off a broken electronic thermometer (or a temp controller out of a computer psu) but I cant figure out how to get a reading off them... I was assuming it was a resistance that changed with temperature so hooked it to +3 and A0 & tried to read it but got a fluctuating reading so its not that simple.

Anyone have a link or advice as to how to read the value off these salvaged devices?

Thanks in advance...

johnwasser

The broken electronic thermometer probably used a thermistor probe.  You need to measure resistance at three known temperatures to calculate the characteristics of your particular thermistor.

To read a variable resistor you can't just hook it between A0 and a power source.  You also need a fixed resistor for A0 to Ground. The variable resistor and fixed resistor act as a voltage divider.  A0 then reads the resulting voltage and some math lets you calculate the unknown resistance.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

MarkT

Did you try measuring the resistance with a multimeter?   Some temperature probes are indeed thermistors, some are thermocouples, some are diodes and some are a whole chip.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

_6ix

Thanks guys, No I havent tried measuring resistance with a multimeter yet..

John, do you have a link to how I should wire that up?

johnwasser

Thanks guys, No I havent tried measuring resistance with a multimeter yet..

John, do you have a link to how I should wire that up?

Try a Google Image search for Arduino thermistor.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy