Go Down

Topic: Using Byte...... (Read 730 times) previous topic - next topic

aruns06

Hi All need a small help........ :-)

As per Arduino reference,Byte is a memory location of 8bits and it can take values ranging 0-255.
Qn 1 I tried to give character value to a byte variable (eg byte val='a';) and print it using Serial.print(val);, I was able to print the value as "a"; but when I tried to give a integer value to the byte variable(byte val=20;) I was not able to print it using the statement Serial.print(val). Instead of that I have to use the statement  Serial.print(val, DEC) why is this so?
Qn2: Is there a way I can store value in an integer variable (eg int n=65;) and print the character 'a'(since ASCII 65= character a) using the integer variable n with the help of Serial.print(n);

Nick Gammon

Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info:
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

aruns06

byte val=20;
void setup()
{
Serial.begin(9600);

}
void loop()
{
Serial.println(val);
delay(500);
}

The above code is not working for integer, but if the global variable is byte val='a', then it's working.

if i replace the Serial.println(val)  with Serial.println(val,DEC) then it's working.

Can you please tell me the reason?  .... :-)

wildbill

Ascii character 20 is not printable, try setting val to something larger - 65 for example.

PaulS

As per Arduino reference,Byte is a memory location of 8bits and it can take values ranging 0-255.

Reference? I don't believe that Byte is defined anywhere in the Arduino documentation. byte, yes. Byte, no.

Qn2: Is there a way I can store value in an integer variable (eg int n=65;) and print the character 'a'(since ASCII 65= character a) using the integer variable n with the help of Serial.print(n);

If the values you want to store represent characters, why do you want to waste the extra byte storing them in ints, instead of bytes?

MarkT

Hi All need a small help........ :-)

Qn 1 I tried to give character value to a byte variable (eg byte val='a';) and print it using Serial.print(val);, I was able to print the value as "a"; but when I tried to give a integer value to the byte variable(byte val=20;) I was not able to print it using the statement Serial.print(val). Instead of that I have to use the statement  Serial.print(val, DEC) why is this so?

byte is a _datatype_ - it is an unsigned 8 bit value, so when such a value is stored in memory it takes a byte, but a value doesn't always get to memory (intermediate results for instance).

Casts enable one value to be treated as if a different type.  For instance:
Code: [Select]
  print ((char) n) ;
will treat the value of n as a char (shortening it to 8 bits in the process, but not affecting the original variable n).
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy