Go Down

Topic: The HATRED for String objects - "To String, or not to String" (Read 13 times) previous topic - next topic

majenko

Right. Functions that call themselves or call others that call them, etc.

It's been a while since I wrote that kind of stuff.

Re-entrant is entirely different.

Re-entrant code can be safely called by two different threads at the same time without trashing any global / static variables.  They often involve passing of pointers to work areas to the function, so each thread has its own bit of memory.
Get 10% off all 4D Systems TFT screens this month: use discount code MAJENKO10

GoForSmoke

Something else I wouldn't try with a 328P chip.

Long live the state machine!
I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

majenko

Something else I wouldn't try with a 328P chip.

Long live the state machine!

Hell yeah :)

I had fun a bit back trying to move a few non-re-entrant library routines (from the printf family) into kernel space on RetroBSD so as to reduce user-process size (kind of a pre-cursor to shared libraries) a bit back... Not nice trying to convert them to re-entrant ;)
Get 10% off all 4D Systems TFT screens this month: use discount code MAJENKO10

Delta_G

The String class is kind of like training wheels on a bicycle.  Babies need them in order to learn how to ride (or code), but as soon as you want to do anything remotely useful you have to take them off and throw them away. 

So many of the "Why don't they fix this bug?" complaints could easily be rewritten as:

"Wah!  I want to be able to do BMX tricks but I'm scared to let go of my training wheels."

zoomkat

The String class is kind of like training wheels on a bicycle.  Babies need them in order to learn how to ride (or code), but as soon as you want to do anything remotely useful you have to take them off and throw them away. 

So many of the "Why don't they fix this bug?" complaints could easily be rewritten as:

"Wah!  I want to be able to do BMX tricks but I'm scared to let go of my training wheels."

Wow, another String class whiner!  :smiley-roll: Sad that the String class whiners almost never correct/adjust the usually simple they constantly whine about. Sad
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   8)

Go Up