Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Triggering a Pocket Wizard and adding a delay  (Read 1027 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi all,

I'm totally new to Arduino and I'm trying my first little project. I'm using the Arduino Button tutorial with Debounce (http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Debounce) and have successfully been able to trigger my pocket wizard by replacing the led with connections to the pocket wizard, but it stays on when I want it to turn off when the button is released. The LED light I tested turns off just fine when the button is released.

I would also like to add a slight delay from when the button is pressed to when the pocket wizard is triggered.

A pocket wizard is a wireless flsah trigger, which uses a standard 1/8" jack. When you short the top pin and ground, it triggers the pocket wizard. Here is a reference video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSSJNjfKDmI

Thank you!

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

When you short the top pin and ground,
If you don't know what you're doing, then a simple reed relay to short the contacts would protect both your Arduino and your trigger.

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

View Profile

I don't know what I'm doing, but I did just figure out the triggering. Now just trying to get the delay working...

California
Faraday Member
View Profile

I don't know what I'm doing, but I did just figure out the triggering. Now just trying to get the delay working...
It's easier to give you direction if we can see the code you've got so far...

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

I did just figure out the triggering.
but it stays on when I want it to turn off when the button is released.
But not, it seems, the untriggering.
If you use a reed relay to short the contacts, you'll avoid damage to your Arduino and your trigger.

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

I agree with AWOL. Use a reed relay. A reed relay is essentially the two wires you were holding in the video. Instead of using hands to touch the wires, it uses magnetic force to touch the two wires. To generate the magnetic force, use arduino pin to write HIGH to the relay. A transistor is recommended.

What amount of delay are you trying to get? Seconds, milliseconds or minites?

View Profile

Thanks guys. By switching the low to high and high to low in the original debounce code it will now trigger and "untrigger" the PW. I will look into the reed relay though as it sounds like the better/safer option.

As far as the delay goes, I will need about a 1/2 to 1 second delay.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Thanks guys. By switching the low to high and high to low in the original debounce code it will now trigger and "untrigger" the PW. I will look into the reed relay though as it sounds like the better/safer option.

As far as the delay goes, I will need about a 1/2 to 1 second delay.

Not hard to get that kind of delay.

The logic is to detect a key press and then wait with delay(1000) for 1 second or 1,000 milliseconds.

Ayer, Massachusetts, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

There are various ways to isolate the Arduino from the device you are triggering.  I find Terry King's explanation of relays, etc to be useful (I found his wikis from his store links): http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/ArduinoPower.

For lower powered DC devices, you can use an opto-isolator (pc817, 4n25, 4n26).  Here is Terry's explanation of opto-isolators: http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/Popular-ICs.  The same link also describes the 555 circuits, which is a way to add a delay without an Arduino.

My telegraph shutter release is probably similar to what you want: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,117629.0.html.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 07:38:25 pm by MichaelMeissner » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: