Go Down

Topic: Low Cost DIY DC MOTORS CNC (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

bragajam

Sep 27, 2012, 05:15 pm Last Edit: Sep 27, 2012, 05:17 pm by bragajam Reason: 1
Hi,

I've been working in a project for a low cost CNC using simple DC Motors.

At the moment i managed to do motion control part of the project using arduino's PID library, I can say that theres no overshoot in position although i'm not using motors full power(power is limited).

I'm now working/researching in 2 axis  interpolated movement, found the bersengh...whatever algorithm but im not sure if thats the best approach.

There's a lot to be done and help would be welcome.

Java interface - I managed to communicate between arduino and a java application but the com's protocol can/must be improved  

- G-code interpreter is to be done (only g00 and g 01 for now). it would be taken in the java app and then sent to arduino in a simpler way
                   - trajectory lines on java interface. (already started to mess with some java drawing api and doesnt seem too hard)

on the arduino side :
                    - mainly the interpolated movement of the axis

Here some videos of what i've been doing (not edited and some of them are boring)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwkgzMV13oXDokUAldZ8cOY2kiaDdBBa-&feature=view_all

Colabs or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Please just don't ask me why wont i use stepper motors instead of DC.

Best regards,
Paulo J. Martins

NI$HANT

"Real Men can Accomplish  Anything"
-  Website  

????? ???? !

bragajam

Hi.

I'm in Portugal (Europe) if thats what u are asking.

NI$HANT

Ok I'm in India so I can help/consult you software wise however I have experience in developing hardware too when things are very far from me but software would be easy if that is needed let me know.
"Real Men can Accomplish  Anything"
-  Website  

????? ???? !

bragajam

Sep 27, 2012, 10:56 pm Last Edit: Sep 27, 2012, 11:18 pm by bragajam Reason: 1
Ok thanks for your reply.

i'm not there yet but i think that data flow control might be a problem.

i'm thinking that i could interpret the g-code in the java app instead of sending the g-code to arduino and interpret it, compute and only then, send for instance

x:100 ' to move x axis 100  points to left or
X:100 (notice the upper case) to move x axis 100 points to right (i'm using relative positioning by the way)

so
X100Y1000 would be interpolated trajectory

I'm using USB so i think i cant use the RS232(DB9) pins DRS DTR (maybe these are not correct i'm writing from memory) to control the data flow.
I cant send another command before it reaches the setpoint (at least more than the buffer can take).

in the arduino part im thinking about 2 ways i could do the interpolated moves (both axis must arrive at same time no matter what):

lets say i want to move x 100 points and y 50. the declive would be 1/2 for each 10 points of x axis, y axis should move 5.
so i could define a fast time interval in which i would verify if this condition is satisfied.

another way could be introduce another factor(lets call it DA) in the PID error expression  output = (Kp*error) + (Ki*integral) + (Kd*derivative) + DA;
where DA would be like  DA = (Kp1*delta) + (Ki1*integral1) + (Kd1*derivative1);
where delta is something like (X/Y -encoderX/encoderY) that should in the suggested case be 2;  'that would change considering whether x>y or y>x

Its the firs time i'm thinking about these problems...what are your thoughts about it?
I'm not an expert in programming, i learn while im doing things, as i go along. So if anyone thinks i'm out of the track please put me back on.

Best regards

Go Up