Go Down

Topic: Hacking rc controller (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

I am trying to hack a RC controller i have. The way the controller works is that it has two potentiometers. One for the throttle and one for the steering left to right.

Instead of building my own ir transmitter I hope to just replace the two pots with an arduino board. The controller uses a 6V supply which is made up of 4 AAA batteries but I am replacing that with my own power supply. I thought i would be able to replace the two pots with a MOSFET circuit ( https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10256). So I attached the pots to my arduino board and using the example here http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/AnalogInOutSerial I read the values, and determined what i should send to back to the controller. However regardless of the PWM values i send the remote never changes its state.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I might be missing?

You can't generally replace a pot with a MOSFET switch.  The first task would be determining how the transmitter chip is sensing the pot positions.  Often that will be a voltage measurement, either by putting a voltage across the pot and sampling it with the wiper OR by using the pot as a variable resistor and using it and a fixed resistor as a voltage divider.

Once you figure out the range of voltages the chip expects you can use a PWM output (analogWrite()) and a filtering system (resistor/capacitor) to generate a suitable range of voltages.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

why not put the controller back together and put the arduino in the tank ? That way it can manage some sensors and operate in manual or autonomous modes ?

Just a suggestion

Duane B

Read this
then watch this

The reading from the pots using the arduino sketch are as followed

POS | Sensor | Values
right|   20    |    4
center|  599 |    148
left |  1024  |    255

POS | Sensor | Values
right|   886    |    220
center|  589 |    146
left |  332  |    82

I also took the readings for the output voltage

So the resistor and capacitor is a low pass filter circuit is that correct?
The values in the table above in the output column are what I should be using as the analogWrite() values?
Is there away for me to determine what value capacitor and resistor i should use in the circuit?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131