Go Down

Topic: Please, clarify Genuino catalogue (Read 664 times) previous topic - next topic

Osqui

Will be a Genuino Yún board some day?
Will be a Genuino Due board some day?
Will be any Genuino shields some day?
And so on...

pert

Will be a Genuino Due board some day?
You were part of this thread: https://groups.google.com/a/arduino.cc/forum/#!topic/developers/HEKecd0qhS4 I think that's about as much information as we're going to get about future production of the Due.

Osqui

Jun 04, 2016, 07:25 pm Last Edit: Jun 04, 2016, 07:25 pm by Osqui
Yes. That's just my complaint: there are many proposals but there are no concrete information about this question: has the Due board a future as it is?  (or at least, I haven't been able to locate it).

And not only for the Due: what happened to misteriously dissapeared Yún shield? What's the future of Lilypad family? Etc, etc.

This limbo is very annoying. This post is only a desesperate cry in the wild to someone who wanted to hear it, that's all.

68tjs

Jun 05, 2016, 12:44 pm Last Edit: Jun 05, 2016, 12:46 pm by 68tjs
what happened to misteriously dissapeared Yún
I think, but I could be wrong, that the inventor of Yun is Dog Hunter which belongs to Federico Musso (arduino.org).
Have a look on Yun schematics, they are not signed Arduino but Dog Hunter.

I think too, but I could be wrong, that the new boards arduino LLC as Arduino SRL ( Gallileo, Edison, Yun, Star, ...) are not really open source or open hardware.
Strangely there is no Chinese copies.

Osqui

Well, now I've seen all official shields except Wifi and Pro have disappeared from https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Products
Going on...

Osqui

It's worthy reading last posts from https://groups.google.com/a/arduino.cc/forum/#!topic/developers/HEKecd0qhS4

68tjs

Do not forget  :
1) Arduino team never risked a cent in board manufacturing.
The only one who took risks with a plant was Martino and  now Musso.

2) So Arduino team must find  manufacturers.
Candidates are Adafruit in US, Seeed in China and one company in Germany.
All these manufacturers will never agree to lose money with boards that do not sell enough.
Create a production line is expensive and a manufacturer must be assured of recovering his money with many sales.
M Banzi must accept the harsh law of the economy by agreeing to abandon some products.

This is the choice made by M Banzi, it has its advantages (for him) and his disadvantages (for us).

On the other side.
All Arduino board  are still manufactured by Musso.
For him the issue is not the same: manufacturing lines are not to be created, they already exist because before the fight he was the only official manufacturer.
And of course it takes advantage of the fact that Banzi not find anyone to manufacture these boards.

Osqui

Thanks. I don't disagree in focusing only in a few (well tested and diverse) boards: less products but better maintained can be a succesful path for all of us too. My complaint is about not knowing which of these boards will remain, which ones won't: this uncertainity is what I don't like.

68tjs

IMHO for Genuino line some boards are not abandon to have more time to better maintain other.
But because , at this day, no  manufacturer accepts to manufacture them.
Maybe tomorrow will be different.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy