Go Down

Topic: A backplane or motherboard for Shields and CPUs (Read 136 times) previous topic - next topic

LMI

It is difficult to stack several shields now. A working machine easily needs more than one shield, like one or more IO shields, display shield and perhaps a wireless shield or something else. You cannot stack them. Well, the display must be the uppermost but there are problems with other shields too.

So put them side by side on a backplane. Because there are pins that are more widely used, like serial in/out, than others you need a method to switch, multiplex or control where your data goes. Not too hard if you are a HW designer.

A project with a backplane is not a beginner project, but a beginner would not need several shields either.

whomever

Hmmm, very simple board. You could design that yourself using a free PCB design tool (there are many, but Eagle won't work because the board would be larger than allowed by the free version). Nothing but holes for pins/sockets and some copper traces. Then have it made in China (e.g. Seeedstudio) where small quantities are very inexpensive.

LMI

Hmmm, very simple board. You could design that yourself using a free PCB design tool
I could but I think others would have some use for that kind of board, so it should be an Arduino board. But then, those who need it are able to make it themselves.

whomever

If someone were to design the board, it could be posted as a publicly orderable item on Seeedstudio. The only other thing you'd need would be some pin headers and sockets, probably also available from them (I'm guessing).

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy