Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Power supply by USB with a regulated voltage source?  (Read 540 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,

I was thinking about cutting a usb cable, put 5V and Ground on an end with a regulated voltage source, and connect the other end to the Arduino USB input. Is that a bad idea? What should I do with the data cables? Connect them to the ground? With a resistor?

Thank you.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Hi,

I was thinking about cutting a usb cable, put 5V and Ground on an end with a regulated voltage source, and connect the other end to the Arduino USB input. Is that a bad idea? What should I do with the data cables? Connect them to the ground? With a resistor?

Thank you.

That should work fine for powering the board. It really doesn't matter what you do with the data signal pins, I would just cut them and let them float. Keep in mind that the maximum +5vdc current avalible to the board will still be limited by the on board USB thermal fuse rated at 500ma.

Lefty

View Profile

Ok great, thank you smiley-wink

Greenville, IL
Edison Member
Warning Novice on board! 0 to 1 chance of errors!
View Profile

I am going to try a USB power pack that I bought off of Ebay.  Here is the search category for you too consider the options. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=usb+power+pack&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: