Go Down

Topic: convert Palm foldable kbd to USb with teensy? (Read 3318 times) previous topic - next topic

mclien

I have some of these old foldable Palm keyboards and trying oconvert it into a "normal" USB-keyboard.

I allready "decoded" the keymatrix at the internal connectors
I now want to use a teensy board (because it's capable to be a USB device for the PC) to  convert the key input-matrix tu standard keycode output at the USB port.
So every time to inputs are connected I have e "key pressed" event, which then should result in a keycode send to the usb output

So some questions came up (because I'm really new to HW programing):
- can I mix digital and analog pins for the matrix (e.g. A11 and D01 is keycode for "A", but D01 and D02 is keycode "B")?
-and is the teensy capable to send "keycodes" instead of letter? (with the teenyduino I have to choose a keyboard layout, when using it as a kbd emulation, but usually the OS defines the layout and the kbd istself delivers keycodes IIRC).

Pictures to follow..

mclien

philba

you can use the analog pins for digital - the digital pins run from 0 to 23.  The analog pins A0 - A11 run from 22 to 11 (i.e. they overlap in reverse order).  See the pinout card they ship with the teensy.  So just use 0-23 and don't worry.

Mloopz

mclien were you succesfull on the keyboard attempt?

WinstonP

Also depending on which keyboard it is, most of the older boards were RS232 connected. A search for "Palm keyboard connector" should show which pins are what. And it would be easier to program then decoding a matrix.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy