Go Down

Topic: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Not Using The Arduino Bootloader (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

tigerbomb8

thanks for the information guys/gals. it looks like i will stick with the bootloader.
i already have a shield for programing attinys so i can add a spot for the atmega328 and burn the bootloader my self. that will save me a couple of $$

fungus

I picked up one of those USB-ASP jobbies off ebay for a couple of dollars, and been using it to program ATMEGA8's.  Since I chose to use the chip config which utilizes the internal oscillator instead of a crystal, that also reduces the cost and complexity of the build to the chip plus two caps.

Me too. I just got a TLC5940 hooked up to an ATtiny85. No problem.

PS: Two caps? What's the other one for? I heard a pull-up resistor on the reset was a good idea, although they have one built in so I'm a bit confused.
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

fungus

You're telling me - I was recently tempted by an auction of ATmega8's on eBay that was on the close order of a buck a chip delivered.  That's cheaper than I'm getting ATtiny85's!  More GPIO, same flash and memory, same basic level of avr-gcc support, the only thing that stopped me was my overflowing bin of parts I've accumulated.

I was looking on Farnell last week and ATtiny84s are 94 Eurocents each in quantities of ten.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

dc42

To bootload or to not bootload.... that is the question

The bootloader is great when you are developing on a real Arduino. You can use the same USB cable for loading the program and for the serial monitor.

However, when I take a design I have prototyped on the Arduino and build it on a dedicated board, I always include a 6-pin ICSP header on the board so that I can program it directly, and I don't program a bootloader into the mcu.
Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

CrossRoads

I heard a pull-up resistor on the reset was a good idea, although they have one built in so I'm a bit confused.

See pages 4 & 5
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Go Up