Go Down

Topic: Hydroponic Controller 4 channell  (Read 317 times) previous topic - next topic

Jcover

Greeting All

I am here to share my experience in building a controller for a hydroponic system at my home.

On like "Billie's Hydroponic Controller I will be controlling Ph, ORP, EC and DO with probes from atlas scientific on the 4 channel Tentacle Shield from white box. All on a UNO.

I will also be using an I2C serial 4X20 display along with a 2 axis analog joy stick for the user interface.

Control out will be done through a relay shield

Once I have mastered the coding for the control I will then add an Ethernet shield for data logging and network monitoring. The logged data will be time/date stamped with data from a I2C real time clock module.


I do have concerns about ruining out of memory in the UNO but time.....coding will tell


Jcover

Here is an update on my progress.
I can tell you I pulled out a few hear in getting the I2C communication working on atlas probes.
Can you say "learning curve" Fortunately  atlas give you a pretty good sample code, and modifying the  code so the it doesn't use the delay() script was a bit tricky because the probes can only be read ever 1300 millisecond. Finally there was the usual modification for getting there function to interact with my original code

Currently the entire program dose not have any delay() in the loop which keeps the navigation via the joystick very responsive.

I have also ensured that the LCD text doesn't flicker.

here is a video of what I have so far
Hydroponic Controller


Jcover

Its been a while but I had to wait for more parts to arrive.

As expected I ran out of memory on the UNO and had to upgrade to a MEGA

With the new level of memory I slapped on an Ethernet shield 5100 "borrowed" a web data logger from
Web data Logger and as expected watched the unit fail......some more debugging necessary.

What I suspect is, there is just too much happening in the main loop and the processor just cannot reply fast enough to web browser .


I didn't like the level of electrical isolation on the PCB board  on the original relay shield, especially since I am planing to be controlling 110V AC, so i changed it out to a external unit and added a second set of 4. Now I have a total of 8 control relays. Each sensor now has its own relay and I have assigned one relay to an Alarm output. Not sure what I am going to do with the remaining 3.


5v DC power is supplied from gutted circuit from an old Tablet charger


 have started to stuff all the components in to small plastic box.

Go Up
 


Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy