Go Down

Topic: Ultimate Smart Alarm Clock (Read 310 times) previous topic - next topic

May 23, 2016, 05:55 am Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 09:00 am by Oscarko
Here is my second build - an ultimate alarm clock that is build exactly to my specifications:

- multiple alarms, daily, weekly, on certain days, on certain dates, timer
- automatically dims LCD and LED in darkness (my wife always complains, even covers my clocks)
- multiple alarm sounds, each alarm can have its own sound
- automatic DST
- uses RTC with battery
- hourly chirp, but only in day hours and also automatically suppressed when it is dark
- easy way to enable/disable each alarm or all alrams
- lot of user settings, like the LCD/LED brightness under different light etc.

It is running on a bit modified TimeAlarms library (ingenious how it complements time library), DS1302 RTC, 1602 on I2C and LED 7 segment driven by MAX7219 (Store here was selling only common anode 7 segment so it took a bit convincing to work with 7219 -but works perfectly).
The light sensor is with a photo-resistor on voltage divider to analog input. And the sounds are through RTTTL melodies driven by a simple 1 transistor amp. The menu system is a non blocking interrupt based menu with rotary encoder - my own design, and quite happy about it.

All on ATM 328 - currently I have UNO inside, but I will replace it with my own DIY-duino as soon as I will have some time. I wanted to use originally ebay nano, but I found out it has busted A4 or A5 inputs so no I2C (I've got what I paid for)

I filled the uno to the brim, 98% PRGM and 90% memory - word of advice, don't fill the memory above 90% or you will see some strange things. My I2C display was all acting up, interrupts were random and other funky stuff, until I realized there may be some dynamic allocations in those libraries and if I fill up the memory then boom!
Total time - about a week.

I measured the drift of the ebay 1302 and it is about 7 sec a day which is about 90ppm. It is not that bad on those cheap crystals they put in. I added drift function to the menu that will compensate for this and it is adjustable if the drift changes over time.
Also I will probably change the crystal for the +/-10ppm citizen they have on digikey next time I do my order.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131