Go Down

Topic: ATtiny85 + TLC5940 (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic

fungus

Oct 01, 2012, 09:05 pm Last Edit: Nov 02, 2012, 12:47 pm by fungus Reason: 1
I just got a Tiny85 working with a TLC5940, here it is controlling a couple of RGB LEDs:

Unfortunately it takes all the Tiny85's pins at the moment. I think I can free up 2 pins but it'll have to wait a couple of days....
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

brs0906

Very nice! How did you do it?

JoeN

I don't know how the OP did it, but this is pretty easy to so if you buy an AVR ISP II which are $35.  You can write the program in the Arduino environment, taking care to only use the pins that exist on the ATTiny, and upload it using Atmel Studio.  You provide a 6 pin header that goes to +5V, GND, and four pins on the chip (RST, MOSI, SCK, and MISO) There are other bits of software which will do this too and you can use an Arduino as a programmer but I found that AVR ISP II (cheap) and AVR Studio (free) seem to be a good way to achieve it.

http://store.atmel.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10500054

The six wires coming off the board to the bottom left is the OP's programming interface, the AVR ISP uses a 6-conductor ribbon connector.  Possibly he is using the arduino route or an Atmel Dragon.
I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

fungus

Oct 03, 2012, 07:46 am Last Edit: Nov 02, 2012, 12:47 pm by fungus Reason: 1

Very nice! How did you do it?

I got a cheap ISP programmer off eBay (search for "usbtinyisp") and connected it to the ATtiny85. That's the wires you see coming in from bottom-left. I literally just poked patch wires into the ISP connector to connect it to the breadboard.

After that you set up the Arduino IDE and start programming as normal! I followed the instructions on this page: http://hlt.media.mit.edu/?p=1695
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

fungus

Oct 03, 2012, 07:51 pm Last Edit: Nov 02, 2012, 12:49 pm by fungus Reason: 1
I did it!

I got the TLS5940 control down to three pins on my Tiny85. It was much easier than I thought, took me ten minutes to adapt the previous version.

I now have two pins free. I'm going to connect two potentiometers as input so I can set a color range for some RGB LEDs. The LEDs will fade around within that color range. I just need to figure out how to read the chip's ADC under interrupts (the TLC driver uses 100% CPU to drive the 5940).

(Edited this thread to change all images to attachments so they'll be visible for eternity, even if my server dies...)

Go Up