Go Down

Topic: programming the quark. (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

cjdelphi

Since the new board from Arduino uses the quark.

Does that mean we can call interrupts from x86? 

PaulS

Does that mean we can call interrupts from x86? 

What does this mean? What is an x86 that is going to be generating the interrupts?

cjdelphi

I don't know what happened there..

Does it mean we can call interrupts, the quark is essentially just an old intel chip shrunk down and brought up todate, so interrupts should be possible... I'm trying to get my head around the uses of one of these boards (an Arduino with an Intel chip on it) but unlike an ARM processor, it shares architecture with my desktop computer.

I Guess what my question boils down to...

What advantage (being a Windows user) does the new board from Intel and Arduino  have that could be exploited the due does not.

http://arduino.cc/en/ArduinoCertified/IntelGalileo

James C4S

Does it mean we can call interrupts,

What do interrupts have to do with anything?  Are you trying ask about multitasking?

it shares architecture with my desktop computer.

How much low level programming are you doing on your desktop computer?

What advantage (being a Windows user)

I would imagine none.  The board doesn't run Windows.  It looks like it does run Linux.

Looks like an attempt to provide the simplicity of an  embedded microcontroller (Arduino IDE) with single board computer (Linux).  In other words, Arduino's answer to the Raspberry Pi.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

cjdelphi

Yes, but the raspberry pi  is built on ARM architecture..

What have interrupts got to do with anything? are you serious?  what needs to be installed is DOS so i can write pascal apps with it, i guess that's another question, installing DOS and who knows getting win95 on it lol

James C4S

Oct 06, 2013, 05:59 am Last Edit: Oct 06, 2013, 08:11 am by James C4S Reason: 1

What have interrupts got to do with anything? are you serious?  what needs to be installed is DOS so i can write pascal apps with it, i guess that's another question, installing DOS and who knows getting win95 on it lol

I have absolutely no idea what "using interrupts" has to do with installing DOS, compiling PASCAL, or windows 95.  I seriously suspect you misunderstand what "interrupts" do.

If you're going to use a high level language like C or PASCAL, what difference does it make if the system architecture is ARM or x86?

Applications running on Linux running on a x86, ARM, or even the Sony Cell processor really isn't that much of a difference.   The types of applications you run might vary, but you don't have to spend a lot of time knowing about the underlying architecture to write them.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

microcat

New guy here.   Just guessing, but I think what cjdelphi is asking about is software interrupts, which is how one used to call DOS functions instead of the usual library - style API used by most OS'es.  If so, then from reading what little information is available on that  link, my guess would be that the device should be able to support DOS, although some modifications might be necessary due to hardware architecture differences.  A good place to start might be FreeDOS, as it is open source and thus can be modified.  Hope this helps.

westfw

From what I read, Galileo runs some sort of virtual Arduino layer on top of a linux distribution of some kind.

I also hear that the digital IO is done via I2C port expander chip, and has a max pin-toggle rate of about 230 Hz.  Ouch.

fungus

What advantage (being a Windows user) does the new board from Intel and Arduino  have that could be exploited the due does not.

400MHz CPU, 256MB RAM, hardware floating-point math, SD card, JTAG connector, PCIe slot...?

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

cjdelphi

In a long twisted out thread I was confusing myself..

I forgot that int 21; is DOS, Int 10; Bios, it completely went over my head that these are not hardware interrupts, i was trying to get a better understanding of what this board could do, and I'm treating it as a "computer" I should not...

But windows 9x on this and a mouse, screen, the point i'm getting at is with an operating system like 9x, I can port all my old applications to a portable device without having to learn yet another language.

microcat

I was reading a little more on this device, and people were saying that one of the possible impediments to implementing Windows or DOS on it is that it might not have a compatible BIOS (or any BIOS at all).  Apparently that was a problem with some earlier board (don't remember the name) which also used an x86 chip.

oric_dan

Oct 08, 2013, 08:14 am Last Edit: Oct 08, 2013, 05:20 pm by oric_dan Reason: 1
Speaking of ARMs, r.PIs, I/O via I2C at 200Hz, and *new* Arduino boards, you might also look at ....
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardTre
These were mentioned in a Grumpy Mike thread in the Bar Sport section.

The business about 200 Hz I/O is also a joke. I don't know for sure, but figure this one will be closer to 10 MHz I/O (just a guess). If you can't wait until Spring 2014, do a Google search on "BeagleBoard Black", or check it at adafruit. :-)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy