Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: ATTiny85. IDE responds:"Invalid device signature, define PAGEL and BS2 signals"  (Read 2297 times)
Leeds, UK
Edison Member
Once the magic blue smoke is released, it won't go back in!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

could it be that sth wen wrong with fuses of the other chip ?
That's why I posted the link I did. Its a way of resetting the fuses to the factory default if something goes wrong.

~Tom~

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

I just tried the other chip(0612) and it worked even though I tried programming it before!!
The blink sketch is working perfectly on it. I put back the (0548) chip and still it is not working, I checked the resistance between the vcc and gnd for both of them it is around 7.7 megs

Hah! Didn't expect that...

Maybe Atmel has changed the lettering on their chips (a 2005 chip is one of the very first ATtiny85s).

could it be that sth wen wrong with fuses of the other chip ?

Yep.

They're both old chips and not from the same batch (one is from 2005, one is from 2006).  I suspect they might be pulled from old devices for resale. In that case they could have had their fuse bits set to disable the RESET pin, to disable SPI programming...etc. There's a few different ways you can brick a chip.

To restore it you need a programmer that applies 12V to the RESET pin during programming (that's why it's called "High Voltage Programming"). After that you can clock instructions into the chip to reset the fuses (see the Memory Programming section of the datasheet). All you need is to change the Fuse High bits. After that you can go back to normal programming.

ie. Connect 12V to RESET while holding three pins LOW, clock 32 bits of data into the chip (use an Arduino!), remove the 12V.

The datasheet has the details.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Leeds, UK
Edison Member
Once the magic blue smoke is released, it won't go back in!
View Profile

To restore it you need a programmer that applies 12V to the RESET pin during programming (that's why it's called "High Voltage Programming"). After that you can clock instructions into the chip to reset the fuses (see the Memory Programming section of the datasheet). All you need is to change the Fuse High bits. After that you can go back to normal programming.

ie. Connect 12V to RESET while holding three pins LOW, clock 32 bits of data into the chip (use an Arduino!), remove the 12V.

Or see the link I posted which has an arduino sketch to do this smiley-wink

~Tom~

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

Or see the link I posted which has an arduino sketch to do this smiley-wink

Oh, I didn't follow the link.

Yep, that will fix it (if it's fixable...)

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: