Go Down

Topic: New alternative IDE for Arduino (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic

Emmeran

Hey guys,

I'm currently working on a somewhat complex project for Arduino and I got a bit frustrated with the simplicity of the Arduino IDE. So I decided to create my own IDE that also will eventually include my bootloader for flashing via ethernet. (which already exists in the playground).

I opened up a github repository for this, feel free to give it a try and help me develop.
Warning: it's still in an early phase, I won't take any responsibility for any potential harm this program does. Make sure to back up your files. Use at own risk.

https://github.com/Emmeran/Ethernet-Flasher-IDE

Basically it's a QsciScintilla file editor with some project and library management added. It will compile the arduino core and your application as specified in the build profiles.
Please note, that this IDE does *not* (on purpose) preprocess the source files before compilation like the original IDE.
If you want to use libs, you have to right click "Libs", click "Add Library..." and select the library folder from where you stored it.

This program isn't meant to replace the orginial Arduino IDE but might be nice for more experienced programmers that want to have some more options.

In the future I want to add API files for the autocompletion, the Ethernet bootloader, a bootloader flashing method, upload support for the EthernetFlasher, examples, new project wizzards and other goodies.

Let me know what you think,

Cheers,
Emmeran

Graynomad

This does look nice but I'd hold off doing too much work on it for a while. Firstly there are several other options now, some of which are pretty good. Secondly when the Due is released there is supposed to be a new IDE as well, that may well be a full-featured IDE and if it is and it's officially supported that would have to be the way to go.

_____
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Scott Baker

This does look nice but I'd hold off doing too much work on it for a while. Firstly there are several other options now, some of which are pretty good. Secondly when the Due is released there is supposed to be a new IDE as well, that may well be a full-featured IDE and if it is and it's officially supported that would have to be the way to go.

What other Linux options are there available? I've seen Gnoduino, and had problems getting it to work. As far as a new IDE coming with the Due, I haven't heard that. I hope it's true. Where did you get that info?

Visual Micro

Oct 03, 2012, 08:48 pm Last Edit: Oct 03, 2012, 08:49 pm by Visual Micro Reason: 1
That looks great, if you make it work fully I will be happy to help implement some debugging capabilities. My understanding is that the Due will initially work with the std Arduino IDE with a better IDE "due" in the longer term.

If you can put in the ability to store breakpoints against source code lines and to be able to edit breakpoint properties specifiying message and condition text then we are onto a real winner.

I have this working in Visual Studio but it's handled by an API unconnected to Microsoft software, so could be compiled up for linux using Mono or re-written.

Short draft overview here

Edit:

What does this mean? No combining of .ino files?
that this IDE does *not* (on purpose) preprocess the source files before compilation like the original IDE
Arduino for Microsoft Visual Studio Pro and Atmel Studio 6.1 http://www.visualmicro.com
Arduino Debugger http://www.visualmicro.com/post/2012/05/05/Debug-Arduino-Overview.aspx

Jantje

What other Linux options are there available? I've seen Gnoduino, and had problems getting it to work. As far as a new IDE coming with the Due, I haven't heard that. I hope it's true. Where did you get that info?

The Arduino eclipse plugin works on Linux mac and windows. See eclipse.baeyens.it for more info and installation instructions.

Best regards
Jantje
Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

Go Up