Go Down

Topic: No problem, just a question (LCD: 4 bit v. 8 bit) (Read 7215 times) previous topic - next topic

I've been using the 4 bit configuration to connect my LCD, and it has performed as expected.

What could I do if I connect it in 8 bit configuration that I can't do now?  What would the other 4 pins get me?

Far-seeker

I've been using the 4 bit configuration to connect my LCD, and it has performed as expected.

What could I do if I connect it in 8 bit configuration that I can't do now?  What would the other 4 pins get me?

To give a meaningful answer, it is most likely necessary to know what specific LCD you are using.

liudr

If you are referring to a character display, the extra 4 bits won't give you much performance boost. The display starts up in 4-bit mode. It uses 4 wires to communicate. If you let it use 8 wires, it may sound like it will communicate faster, but I've heard experts here say there's no apparent improvement in speed. You can think of the 4 bit as 4 pipes and 8 bit as 8 pipes. You can transfer water with one pipe if you want.

dhenry

The display starts up in 4-bit mode.

Which display is "The display"?

If you let it use 8 wires, it may sound like it will communicate faster, but I've heard experts here say there's no apparent improvement in speed.

Those "experts" are both right and wrong.

You do cut down the transmission time considerably in 8-bit mode: rather than presenting your data once in 8 bits, you now have to represent your data twice in 4 bits. That does speed up the time.

However, transmission time really isn't the bottleneck here. LCD (the display, not the electronics) is slow. As such, it usually like a few ms to update the actual image - much much slower than your data transmission time - you can easily send 16 bytes of data in 1ms in 4-bit mode.

So any speed gain going from 8-bit to 4-bit makes no practical gain for human eyes.

RPCoyle

So any speed gain going from 8-bit to 4-bit makes no practical gain for human eyes.

Makes sense... but why would virtually all display manufacturers waste so much effort to implement something that has so little payoff?

floresta

Makes sense... but why would virtually all display manufacturers waste so much effort to implement something that has so little payoff?

Because it was designed several decades ago when devices such as this were attached directly to the data bus of a microprocessor.  The 4-bit mode was required since early microprocessors, such as the 4004 had only a 4-bit data bus.  The 8-bit mode was available since the latest (at that time) microprocessors, such as the 8008, had an 8-bit data bus.

Don

dhenry

why would virtually all display manufacturers waste so much effort to implement something that has so little payoff?

For HD44780-like displays, it was due to compatibility with the original HD44780. I think they offered 4-bit back then was for wiring simplicity / reduce pin count.

Newer graphics LCDs have a diverse set of transmission arrangement, from serial to 14/16/18/24/32 bit parallel modes.

dhenry

14/16/18/24/32 bit parallel modes.

The issue there is fresh rates when large amount of data, pixel + color, needs to be transmitted quickly.

floresta

Oct 02, 2012, 10:22 pm Last Edit: Oct 02, 2012, 10:25 pm by floresta Reason: 1
Now to address some of the previous answers.

What would the other 4 pins get me?

To give a meaningful answer, it is most likely necessary to know what specific LCD you are using.

Most of the time I would agree with you, but not in this case.  Since he is talking about "(LCD:  4 bit v. 8 bit)" he obviously is referring to the character mode LCDs driven by an HD44780 compatible controller.  He verified this when he responded in reply #2.  The answer is the same for all of them.

The display starts up in 4-bit mode. It uses 4 wires to communicate.

No and yes. The device actually starts up in 8-bit mode.  Since it may actually be hooked up in a 4-bit system the first few instructions in the initialization sequence, the ones that are used to switch it out of the 8-bit mode if that is necessary, only require the use the of the upper four bits - the lower four bits are ignored even if they are hooked up.

You do cut down the transmission time considerably in 8-bit mode: rather than presenting your data once in 8 bits, you now have to represent your data twice in 4 bits. That does speed up the time.

That is true, but it may not help things in the long run.  Lets do the math:

8-bit mode:
put the data in a register
output the data
pulse the enable line
wait until the controller is ready for the next byte of information

4-bit mode:
put the data in a register
output the upper four bits of datadata
pulse the enable line
(IMPORTANT: no delay is needed here)
shift or otherwise manipulate the data
output the data
pulse the enable line
wait until the controller is ready for the next byte of information

The instructions used to perform the tasks of manipulating the data and pulsing the enable line each take some small multiple of 62.5nS.  The time it takes to do these instructions in either mode is much less than the time that you have to wait until the LCD controller is ready for the next byte of data.

So, if you are simply sending a string of characters to the LCD it really doesn't matter which mode you use.  There are at least two ways you can speed things up: (1) by testing the busy flag to avoid having to wait the full 40 uS and (2) by doing something else while waiting for the 40 uS to elapse or for the busy flag to expire.

If you use either of these methods it may be possible to make the 8-bit interface perform better than the 4-bit interface, but don't forget to make sure not to get it too fast since you cannot pulse the enable bit more often than every 500nS.

Don

dhenry

Generally agreed with your assessment.

pulsing the enable line each take some small multiple of 67.5nS. 

Not sure where that number comes from. But if you just eyeball the datasheet, you need a minimum of 540ns to transmit one data (4-bit or 8-bit), plus 1 flag checking (that time depends on the particular data / commands).

So to transmit a byte in 4-bit, you need 1us + flag check, and in 8-bit 0.5us + flag checking.

Either way, that difference isn't vital as the bottleneck is somewhere else.

liudr

pulsing the enable line each take some small multiple of 67.5nS. 

Not sure where that number comes from.

If you divide one by sixteen million,

liudr

The display starts up in 4-bit mode. It uses 4 wires to communicate.

No and yes. The device actually starts up in 8-bit mode.  Since it may actually be hooked up in a 4-bit system the first few instructions in the initialization sequence, the ones that are used to switch it out of the 8-bit mode if that is necessary, only require the use the of the upper four bits - the lower four bits are ignored even if they are hooked up.

Thanks for pointing that out. I did read the spec sheet a while back and that was in it.

So, the short answer to the question is, "Double the bandwidth, with a theoretical and highly arguable increase in actual speed performance."?

No extra character sets? No 8-bit-only commands? etc? 
It won't fetch me a beer if I hook up four more wires?

floresta

That pretty well wraps it up.

Virtually all of the other manufacturers over the years have duplicated not only the operation of the HD44780 but also the data sheet, right down to the same unique version of the English language, and the same errors and omissions.  I guess that at least some of these are licensed copies but I would guess that some of the later versions are pure counterfeits as well.

To my knowledge only New Haven Displays has made any additions to the instruction set while keeping the basic device largely, but not totally, compatible with the HD44780.

Don

Go Up