Go Down

Topic: A Better Fade? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

KirAsh4

Ok, I admit this is all about how we perceive light.  Our eyes aren't bionic implants so our brains compensate.  But, I wonder if anyone has either thought about or figured out a better way to do this.

Let's say you are fading an LED from 0 up to 255 then back down to 0 in +1/-1 increments (let's call it a 'pulse').  Well, from 0 to about 175~200, you'll notice it.  But going above that, the change is so minute that it's barely noticeable.  Yes you can notice it, but it's not as dramatic a change as going from say 100 to 150.

So I thought maybe when one reaches those higher numbers, instead of continuing with a +1 step, change to a +2 step, so the fade reaches max intensity faster.  Then I thought, there's got to be a better way.  Maybe a formula?  Or maybe I'm just going about it all wrong.  I may even be over thinking it, who knows.  I just know that when I'm fading an LED up to max then down to 0 again, it just seems to stay near it's max intensity longer than any other range.  I know it's not, but the light intensity makes it appear that way.

So is there a better way for a smoother "pulsing" of an LED?

jraskell

A logarithmic or exponential formula would probably provide a visibly smooth enough fade on/off.  It may not be a perfectly accurate method, but likely close enough that the human eye won't perceive any inconsistencies.

dhenry

Google gamma correction.

It can be done quickly with a look-up table.

fungus

I just know that when I'm fading an LED up to max then down to 0 again, it just seems to stay near it's max intensity longer than any other range.  I know it's not, but the light intensity makes it appear that way.

No, it probably is. Light output from a LED isn't linear.

Yes. Use a logarithmic curve.
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

MarkT

I just know that when I'm fading an LED up to max then down to 0 again, it just seems to stay near it's max intensity longer than any other range.  I know it's not, but the light intensity makes it appear that way.

No, it probably is. Light output from a LED isn't linear.

I think we're talking about PWM driving an LED, so the _average_ light output is theoretically linear in the PWM duty-cycle.  Self-heating reduces efficiency somewhat so linearity is best at lower output powers.  The human eye has _no_ _chance_ of detecting this degree of non-linearity since the response curve is roughly logarithmic over many orders of magnitude (5 or so)
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

KirAsh4

Cool.  Any particular code examples anywhere?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy