Go Down

Topic: Board with placement identification & piece recognition (for game or something) (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Ishkur

Current project is something like a "hands-on" simple sequencer, for kids or just for showing to un-techy people and allowing them to play a little with it. The main idea would be each piece has a given action (loop sound sample, light animation, video mapping, whatever) which will be triggered IF the piece is placed on the board. The idea would be to allow to interchange pieces, with each having a different "effect", and have the output react to the choices.
The placement on the board would also affect the result.

After I have the system working, the idea is to expand that into, possibly, some kind of game board, but that's still a secondary afterthought.

I have to say that electronic-wise I can work at a beginner/intermediate level (I'm more of a programmer), that's why I was trying to keep it as simple as possible with rfid :P

Edit: forgot to describe -.-'
The idea would be to keep it simple at first, with around 12 different pieces and a 4x4 board. 5x5 maximum.

mdobres

Hi,

The problem you desribe is the classic chess piece identification task. Most sensory boards just detect the precence or abscence of a piece and infer its value from a know startiong position. eg the Novag Citrine which uses reed switches. The leading reliable chess piece identification system is the DGT board, which uses a patented process: see: http://www.chesscomputeruk.com/1999_-_DGT_Tasc_Piece_Recognition.pdf  . The technology is Resonance coils of different types located in the pieces. A non trivial technology. The DGT board & pieces retail for around $1000. RFID is unlikely to work for the reasins given elsewhere. It is really an Identification technology. In theory you could use triangulation based on signal strength from 3 RFID readers, but I don't know of a way to force the readers to sequentially read all pieces in range. Plus the readers interfer with each other. There are "RFID Radar" devices out there that do this, but they use a large array of readers.

Go Up