Go Down

Topic: Help on reading serial data (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

hadriel26

Hi there,

I'm currently working on a AGV with Arduino Duemilanove + CMUcam 2 and am having some hard time trying to read serial data sent by the CMUcam. I succesfully managed to send serial data from the Arduino to the CMU-CAM, but reading is really hard. The camera sends back a data packet of this type: "T mx my x1 y1 x2 y2 pixels confidence\r", where "mx, my" and the rest are some numbers with informations I need to process.

The problem is: how do I isolate what I need in that packet and store them into variables? In my case, I need to get only the "mx" and "my" values, but the serial sends everything altogether.

Thanks!

PaulS

In my case, I need to get only the "mx" and "my" values, but the serial sends everything altogether.

The "serial" doesn't send anything. The camera does. It sends a stream of characters that presumably mean something to the receiver.

How are you reading/capturing that data now? The answer to that has a lot to do with how you then parse the data. If you are doing it right, storing the data in a char array, the strtok() and atoi() or atof() functions might be worth looking into.

hadriel26

Yeah, I know the serial doesn't send anything, but you got my point, hehe.

Right now I'm just storing the whole packet in a variable, but what I need is to 'filter' the packet and store only what I need, that is, the 'mx' and 'my' values. How can I get only these values and store 'em into separate buffers?

PaulS

Right now I'm just storing the whole packet in a variable, but what I need is to 'filter' the packet and store only what I need, that is, the 'mx' and 'my' values. How can I get only these values and store 'em into separate buffers?

That depends on the type of the variable that you are currently storing the data in.

PGT

Oct 03, 2012, 05:29 pm Last Edit: Oct 03, 2012, 05:30 pm by PGTBOOS Reason: 1
Just curious how do you want to store a RGB like image of a cam on a arduino, or what would you like to do with the received data.
Because I mean even a small cam lets say (800 x 600 pixels x 3 colors) requires 1.44 Mb thats more then a arduino has.

(  i'm curious since i had been thinking of using cams with arduino to, and then abandoned the idea in favor of a cheap ITX motherboard )

Go Up