Go Down

Topic: Standalone ATmega328 (Read 935 times) previous topic - next topic

madboy

Hi,

I am experimenting with the Arduino Ethernet for a couple of weeks now and really like the easy c programming style. However, I want to get one level deeper: There are a couple of ideas I have, where I don't need the ethernet port of the Arduino. I might use a serial interface in some projects, but most of the projects is pure stand alone stuff. So I am wondering: Is it possible to use the same easy c programming from the Arduino and flash the program to a clean ATmega328 (or any other cheap ATmega)? I've read some posts and I always read words like bootloader and programmer. I am working as a high level programmer, so those words aren't totally new to me, but hardware is kind of magic to me, so I don't really understand if this basically means 'yes, you can' or 'no, you can't'.

In my simple mind, I think I simply can get an atmega, power it with +5V and GND, flash my program on it, and all the other pins are I/O pins I can use!? Is this how it works? And can I use the USB to Serial connection stuff that came with my Arduino Ethernet to program the ATmega or do I need another 'Programmer' for that?

Best regards,
Michael

strykeroz

Hi,

This is certainly possible, and commonly done.  There are examples in the Arduino site, and this really well explained write-up by Nick Gammon should get you started.

Cheers ! Geoff
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse"
- retired astronaut Chris Hadfield

madboy

Hi!

Thanks for that link, this is a very great tutorial on how to do that!

Best regards,
Michael

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy