Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 30 Pin LVDS LCD  (Read 3522 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Recently I disassembled an old HP laptop and decided to try and use the LCD screen as a touch screen monitor.  The only thing is that the connection between the screen and the motherboard is something I have never seen before and I'm having some trouble figuring out how to control the LCD screen without the motherboard connection (i.e with an arduino), if that's even possible.  I would imagine that I would need some kind of driver or controller IC to make it all work? Anyway the datasheet for the LCD monitor is here (the pin layout is on page 19): http://www.beyondinfinite.com/lcd/Library/Auo/B170PW06_V2.pdf
Thanks
-John

Leeds, UK
Edison Member
Once the magic blue smoke is released, it won't go back in!
View Profile

Not going to happen.

~Tom~

View Profile

Care to explain???

South England
View Profile

It's not possible to use LVDS screens directly with the microcontrollers we often play with... however, there has recently been a post on hackaday about an FPGA-based module which would allow such a thing.

Leeds, UK
Edison Member
Once the magic blue smoke is released, it won't go back in!
View Profile

The arduino is simply not powerful enough to interface with such a screen. You would need a lot of seperate hardware to run the screen and act as a frame buffer.
It is possible to get boards which allow laptop screens to be connected to via VGA in which case you could get a low resolution B&W image using the timer modules, but really an Arduino is simply too slow for such a screen to get any decent resolution/colour.

Just as an example of how much data there is:

A standard 17" laptop screen has a resolution 1440 x 900 = 1296000 pixels per frame
At a standard 24bits per pixel that yeilds: 31104000 bits per frame
A normal LCD refresh rate of a laptop screen is around 75Hz = 2332800000 bits per second = 2.17 Gbit/s = 278MB/s
An arduino has a clock rate of 16MHz, so that means the ideal data rate for the screen is 2.17G/16M = 145.8 times faster than the Arduino clock.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 04:09:13 pm by Tom Carpenter » Logged

~Tom~

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: