Go Down

Topic: Rotary Switch--5 Position? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

abidethedude

Hey guys, I'm looking for a rotary switch that has 5 positions. I'm basically using the rotary switch as so:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/satisfaction-production/s3_images/101962/arduino-rotary-switch.png

I just want to confirm that it has to be a 1 polarize correct? What does it mean by deck? I'm asking because I'm having hard time finding the right one on digikey

retrolefty

Hey guys, I'm looking for a rotary switch that has 5 positions. I'm basically using the rotary switch as so:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/satisfaction-production/s3_images/101962/arduino-rotary-switch.png

I just want to confirm that it has to be a 1 polarize correct? What does it mean by deck? I'm asking because I'm having hard time finding the right one on digikey

Could you rephrase that 'polarize' statement, as I don't understand the question? If you mean are you only needing a single pole, five position rotary switch, that is correct. By the way in that drawing you show using external pull-up resistors. You really can save some trouble and not use them, but rather just enable the internal pull-up resistors for those specific pins, it's free and it works.

Lefty

johnwasser

The number of decks will probably not be a concern since you have only a single 'Pole' and five 'Throws' (SP5T).  If you had two (Double) Poles and 5 Throws (DP5T) you might have a choice of having both switches share a single Deck or having two Decks with one switch each. A Deck can contain roughly 12 Throws so for Double Throw, Triple Throw, and 4-throw switches you can fit more poles in a small space if you have multiple poles per deck.

For that diagram just pick a SP5T rotary switch.

If you are attaching a knob you probably want one with a "Flatted" shaft.  The "Flush" shaft style has to be turned with a screwdriver.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

abidethedude

Could you rephrase that 'polarize' statement, as I don't understand the question? If you mean are you only needing a single pole, five position rotary switch, that is correct. By the way in that drawing you show using external pull-up resistors. You really can save some trouble and not use them, but rather just enable the internal pull-up resistors for those specific pins, it's free and it works.

Lefty

Sorry about that. Yes I meant 1 pole .
I am actually going to be using the Atmega328 chip on a PCB board, hence it setup this way.

Thanks for the reply everyone!

MarkT

You used to be able to get rotary switches with 12 detents and configurable end-stops.  The one-pole version could do 2 to 11 way with the stop in place, or 12 way with no end stop.  2-pole 6-way and 3-pole 4-way variants were available, probably 4-pole 3-way too.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy