Go Down

Topic: feasibility question: turning dc motor to servo? (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

PeterH

PeterH,
There's nothing stopping you from putting a feedback loop on your motor control

Well, unfortunately what is stopping me is lack of skills in control theory: I've not done the homework, not finished a single control theory book (but have chosen what to read, it has matlab simulations to pass to hopefully couple theoretical understanding with some intuition). I'd give a try to the PID lib you kindly suggested but hardly imagine that in this concept any good result comes without sound theoretical background and gained intuition in putting them to work.

You may be surprised how easy it is once you have got your head around the basic concept. Instead of giving a movement command and assuming that the actuator ends up in the correct position, you find the current position and compare it to the desired position and tell it to move in the right direction. This is basically all you are trying to achieve. The PID algorithm is a feedback algorithm that works very well in a wide variety of situations which is why it is so popular. As well as dealing with the position, it also deals with the speed and acceleration which I suspect will be important to you when you're trying to move and position elements with a lot of inertia.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

ironbot

PeterH,
You may be surprised how easy it is once you have got your head around the basic concept.

This really helps to not to fear to give it a try yet before reading the control theory book, thanks :-)
Could you please point me to any tutorial/example project, where I can implement any simple movement (a line follower, or any other thing) isolated from my own project, toward known, target results (already achieved by the tutorial / example project) to develop some skill?

I have already tried "Arduino PID" on google and there lots of examples, but getting direction from you is the point.

ironbot

Tylernt, Far-seeker:
My pots are ordinary under 1$, the neck and head motor both will have less than 180deg. movement.

The state of neck and head (turning left or right, up or down) will be reported by pot for the process and by limiting micro switches for end points so this should not be a problem. I first added micro switches and implemented them, then I had a problem with debouncing and turned to forum and made a post some days ago. Got great new ideas like always. Now in redesigning (will use debouncing with flip-flop chip this time, as suggested by community people).

Any comment will be greatly welcomed.

Coding Badly

ironbot

Go Up