Go Down

Topic: Old UK TV satellite dish to Boost RF signal (Read 975 times) previous topic - next topic

trendski

Hi,

I've got an old concave UK BskyB dish and I would like to use it to "boost" a signal from my RF module attached to arduino. The RF module is a Jeenode type RF12, but my setup is not Jeenode it's attached to an Arduino Uno.

After a bit of research, I think I have to position the receiver module an exact multiple of wavelengths from the center of the dish to get it to work as a collector of "waves" and reflect them towards the RF module efficiently (ie so they mostly add up instead of cancel out).

Using the equation
Code: [Select]
wavelength = C / f

(C is velocity of light and f is freq of radiation) I get

Code: [Select]
3*10^8 / 868 MHz = 34.56 cm

I would appreciate an experienced look at my logic and Maths and some comment on it.

Am I on the right track?

Cheers
Craig Turner, blog: http://gampageek.blogspot.co.uk/ It helps with my learning if I write things down, esp. for others to follow (constructive comments welcomed to improve)

MarkT

The reflector should be 1/4 or 3/4 or 5/4 or 7/4 wavelengths from the back reflector, and as close to the dish's focus as that allows.  ideally you'd use a dipole antenna at the end of a feed coax, but you can try just placing the whole module there.  Make sure the antenna wire is perpendicular to the axis of the dish. 

Then experiment a bit !
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy