Go Down

Topic: atMega8L -- any external components required at all? (Read 3120 times) previous topic - next topic

pico

It's "weak".  30K to 60K ohms.  In some situations that makes it unreliable.

And, the cost of a single 4.7K to 10K resistor is how much?

It's not the cost, it's the understanding. ;-)
WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

dhenry

I was just wondering what external components (if any) I must/would be advised to have for an atMega8L.

Must have: none.
Advised to have: a decoupling capacitor on AVref.
What I would have: a decoupling capacitor on Vcc, and a rc or lc filter on Avref.

fungus

and a 4.7k pullup resistor on RESET.

The internal pullup by itself isn't reliable? Surprising.

It's "weak".  30K to 60K ohms.  In some situations that makes it unreliable.

And, the cost of a single 4.7K to 10K resistor is how much?

I was quite surprised by this, too. The only thing I can think of is Atmels obsession with power consumption. I'm guessing the extra microamp that a lower resistor would consume keeps Atmel engineers awake at night.

Only unwashed people with filthy, dirty power supplies would need 4.7k pullups.
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

dhenry

Even 30k pull-up can be considered too low for some applications - touch sensing for example.

Many newer chips tend to go closer to 100k - many times they are actually 1ua current sources. A 4.7k pull-up inside a chip would have been a marketing / application disaster.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy