Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: How to use Arduino to control a switch  (Read 1150 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I was wondering if it was possible to use Arduino to control switching on/off an LED strip that's powered by another source and also control its brightness. Most of the other examples I've found online require opto-isolators and things like that, just wondering if there is another way to do it without them. Thanks!

Argentina
Total newbie way over my head dad
View Profile

I've got a similar challenge: using the arduino to control a switch connected to outside power.
For a school demonstration project, I have an Arduino Uno R3, a 24AC solenoid valve, and a Songle power relay 5V DC Dual Power Relay Module (SRD-05VDC-SL-C). I want to use the arduino to send an open/shut command to the valve to water a plant. The Arduino gets its 5 volts of power through a USB cable to a computer, but the valve is 24volts, alternating current, thus the power relay module. But the solenoid also needs an outside power source, right? If i wire the arduino to the power relay module, and then complete a circuit between the songle, solenoid and public power (220 volts), will it fry the arduino? Do I need some other hardware, or just some guidance in wiring this properly? Thanks!

Montreal
Faraday Member
Per aspera ad astra.
View Profile

just wondering if there is another way to do it without them
There is tutorial, using MOSFET's:
http://learn.adafruit.com/rgb-led-strips/usage

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: