Go Down

Topic: Running high power led's without drivers. (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic

dhenry

You've damaged your LEDs with all the 'experimenting'?

Most of the high power LEDs actually have a v-i curve that looks far more like a resistor than a diode, once they start to conducting.

fungus

1. Are drivers really that important?

It depends. Drivers are useful in terms of efficiency, and longivity / thermal management. But they are not absolutely necessary in all situations.

If you want to work near the maximum light output you need a driver.

A resistor simply isn't good enough when you're on part of the curve where a variation of 0.1V can double the current.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

dhenry

a variation of 0.1V can double the current.

I trust you on that. But it would be helpful if you can show us all a high power LED where a variation of 0.1V can double the current near its rated output levels.

Just one example would be sufficient.

fungus

You've damaged your LEDs with all the 'experimenting'?

Most of the high power LEDs actually have a v-i curve that looks far more like a resistor than a diode, once they start to conducting.

Sure, but it's almost vertical. Here's the curve for the 3W LEDs I installed in my hallway:

It doesn't take much extra voltage to overheat one.
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

fungus

a variation of 0.1V can double the current.

I trust you on that. But it would be helpful if you can show us all a high power LED where a variation of 0.1V can double the current near its rated output levels.

Well, OK... 0.1V might be hard to find. ;-)

0.3V though? No problem. See above...

Go Up