Go Down

Topic: SMS sending and receiving: monitoring a fish tank parameters and sending alerts (Read 245 times) previous topic - next topic

reivaxy

Disclaimer: This is my first Arduino project, and I hadn't written C programs in about 16 years :)

Its goal is to monitor a fish tank to check the light level, temperature and water level are ok.
If they are not, it sends SMS alerts to registered mobile phones.

A lot of parameters are configurable by sending SMS to the device, and you can also register or unregister your phone to get the alerts.

It's an open source project available here : https://github.com/reivaxy/aquaMonitor

I hope to avoid the lost of fishes, shrimps, and many corals I suffered one year ago when the power went out in my apartment while I was away. If I had been warned, I could have sent someone fix that.

Although I have already built two of these devices which are running right now monitoring two different tanks, it's still a work in progress with more ideas waiting to be implemented.
The main two are:
- check that the powerhead pumps are working
- wifi connection to share the GSM shield between several modules to lower costs and SIM card needs, and may be log measures to a webserver.

Maverick71

Hello

What are the total costs for such device?

Regards,
Maverick

reivaxy

Hi,

It's below $90.

Most components are cheap, like a few dollars, the most expansive one being the GSM module to send and receive SMS, it's around $28.

Regards
Reivax

reivaxy

Version 2, equipped with an ESP8266 (around $2) is now offering a webApp to read the status and adjust the settings.

It's still a prototype, the hardware is not yet upgraded and will likely need a new PCB, the software is in branch Wifi of the github project.

Here is how it looks like for now (with setting displayed, one setting being edited):

Next improvement will be periodical recording of measures on an external web server to provide graphs showing the evolution.

Several devices sharing a GSM module through Wifi (Or/and bluetooth if I manage to get an ESP8232 to work :)) will be available in version 3.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy