Go Down

Topic: Infrared experiment- wheres this code from? (Read 722 times) previous topic - next topic

Boffin1

I am musing for the next project , about using  infrared to replace the wireless modules that I normally use .

I use either VirtualWire with the simplex modules, and lately SerialEasyTransfer with SIM20 modules.

I want to experiment with using an IR link having the VirtualWire ( or SET ) data  gating 38Khz bursts of data and the receiver using a normal  IR detect module, straight into the Rx ( or possibly inverted )   I can play with the baudrate to match the receivers bandwidth.

The VW library uses a preamble and manchester code, which might work well with the IR receiver.

All the IR projects I can find on the forum/playground are using one of the TV remote codes, which I am not interested in.

I want to knock up a quick experiment between 2 arduinos, and found the following code on Sparkfun for generating the 38Khz pulses, turned on and off at 500ms intervals

Code: [Select]
void setup() {               
  // toggle pin 11 on compare
  TCCR2A = _BV(WGM21) | _BV(COM2A0);
  TCCR2B = _BV(CS20);

// 38kHz timer
  OCR2A = (F_CPU/(IR_CLOCK_RATE*2L)-1);
  pinMode(11, OUTPUT);
void loop() {
  //turn the 38kHz carrier wave off and on           
  TCCR2B = 0;
  delay(500);
  TCCR2B = _BV(CS20);
  delay(500);
}

It works fine, the 38Khz is accurate, but the output when it toggles off can be left either high or low, which would be bad for driving ( via a transisitor )  an IR LED at high power, as it would burn out if the gaps were high -  I could use a cap in the driver, but I am sure there must be a way of holdng pin11 low.  TCCR2B = 0 perhaps ?or might that also leave the output high?

The trouble is I have no idea where this code comes from, there are no libraries called, and I did a search in the Arduino22 folder, but nothing.

I want to be able to gate this with the VW data ( even if I loop the VW Tx pin back into an input pin for the mock up experiment)

Perhaps I can digitalWrite pin 11 low when I want no output, or would it upset the toggling ?

Boffin1

Right, I tried running the above code as a seperate 38Khz generator, with the idea of feeding it to a transisitor, and externally gating the VirtualWire data with a diode.

As soon as I set the VW, however ,  the 38Khz dies,  so I am going to use a separate 555 timer to generate the 38Khz ( cutting edge eh? ) for the experiment, and come back later to the internal gating.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy