Go Down

Topic: Are any ATmega328P input pins 5V tolerant when VCC is 3.3V? (Read 2113 times) previous topic - next topic

BlueBill

I want to connect a 433MHz RF receiver running at 5V to an Arduino running at 3.3V, or do I have to build a resistor / diode clamp.

Some (PIC) MCUs have 5V tolerant input pins but I'm new to AVR & Arduino's.

Bonus question, are any inputs better suited to capture? e.g. IR or PWM (on PIC it's called a Capture Compare module). I suppose INT inputs would do in a pinch.
Bill

retrolefty

I want to connect a 433MHz RF receiver running at 5V to an Arduino running at 3.3V, or do I have to build a resistor / diode clamp.

Some (PIC) MCUs have 5V tolerant input pins but I'm new to AVR & Arduino's.

Bonus question, are any inputs better suited to capture? e.g. IR or PWM (on PIC it's called a Capture Compare module). I suppose INT inputs would do in a pinch.

Basically no. The AVR chips use internal clamping diodes on all the I/O pins and as such if the signal input voltage is higher then Vcc +.5vdc or so the diode starts to conduct high current and damage is sure to follow. So if you run a AVR chip at 3.3vdc on Vcc then inputs must not go above 3.3vdc.

Lefty

BlueBill

Thank you. I guess the choice is a 100ohm resistor & Schottky diode clamp to 3.3V or a 3.3V 433/315 MHz module.
Bill

retrolefty

Thank you. I guess the choice is a 100ohm resistor & Schottky diode clamp to 3.3V or a 3.3V 433/315 MHz module.

There is also the method of just using a high enough ohm series resistor between the 5 volt signal to the input pin that will limit the current flow to a safe enough value to not damage the now conducting high side clamping diode. I don't recall what that value is  for a 5 volt signal using a Vcc of 3.3 volts, but it is a valid method to use and have seen it described in various AVR and PIC application notes I've stumbled across in the past.

Lefty

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy