Go Down

Topic: [SOLVED] USB 2 serial converter (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

Lorenzo Travaglio

I need to monitor some internal state of Arduino UNO board during debug and I don't know if there is another way to debug the software instead of printout some lines via serial line.

James C4S

I don't know if there is another way to debug the software instead of printout some lines via serial line.

That's the method almost everyone uses.

The virtual serial port on the Uno is used for both programming and serial communication. You use the Serial commands to send stuff and open up Serial Monitor from the Arduino IDE.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

CrossRoads

I need to monitor some internal state of Arduino UNO board during debug

You can also use the onboard L LED to indicate when your code has reached a certain point, or a function has been run - add a simple
Code: [Select]

digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);
delay(1);
digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);

cut & paste it around as you debug the various sections.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Riva

I need to monitor some internal state of Arduino UNO board during debug and I don't know if there is another way to debug the software instead of printout some lines via serial line.

Maybe Nick's excellent article on debugging over SPI interface http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11329

Lorenzo Travaglio

Oct 07, 2012, 07:03 pm Last Edit: Oct 08, 2012, 01:16 am by Wolfman Reason: 1

The virtual serial port on the Uno is used for both programming and serial communication. You use the Serial commands to send stuff and open up Serial Monitor from the Arduino IDE.

Thank you very much James. After a while it works on my Ubuntu 12.04.

Go Up