Go Down

Topic: [SOLVED] Not in SYnc Message every-time I run a basic example sketch (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

pcfr33k

I am running the UNO R3 chip on a breadboard with this device  for the bridge to communication to the PC Arduino IDE sofware.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280748167812?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I took off the caps couplers because the Breadboard LED stopped blinking.  SO I am just havd a 16Mhz Crystal from pins 9 and 10.  The LED starting blinking again.

There is a reset pin on the device I am using so I am not using this Kits's Reset Button which came with it.   

I tried both the on board Arduino Stock R3 chip and the one from this kit and I keep getting this message:

avrdude:  stk500_getsync ():  not in sync:  resp=0x00

This is the kits I am using and setup like it is on this link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190591243361?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

Again either this 328 from the kit or the one from my Arduino Uno R3 give me the same message everytime I run a sketch.  RIght now I am just testing the blink sketch.

James C4S

If you aren't putting a 100nF capacitor between the FTDI's DTR and the ATmega328's RESET pin, you don't have auto reset.  You'll need to reset manually (and leave DTR disconnected).
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

pcfr33k

If you aren't putting a 100nF capacitor between the FTDI's DTR and the ATmega328's RESET pin, you don't have auto reset.  You'll need to reset manually (and leave DTR disconnected).

On the FTDI device its called RTS so disconnect that and use the reset switch that came with the kit?

DO I need the Caps like they show on the diagram for the crystal?  That would not be the reason for the sync error would it?

When do you reset manually before and after the successful upload of the sketch?

Actually when I was using the manual switch with the Cap and Resistor I still got the sync error

James C4S

On the FTDI device its called RTS so disconnect that and use the reset switch that came with the kit?

RTS or DTR doesn't matter.  However if there isn't a 100nF cap between the signal and the RESET pin of the ATmega328 and a pull-up resistor between the ATmega328's RESET pin and VCC, then the chip won't come out of RESET and won't respond to programming.

DO I need the Caps like they show on the diagram for the crystal?  That would not be the reason for the sync error would it?

Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't.  With a breadboard there might be enough stray capacitance that you don't.  If there is a bootloader already programmed on the chip and it runs without the caps then you don't need them.  (e.g. Put the chip in your Arduino, program blink, then put in the breadboard.  If pin 13 toggles, then it is working.)

When do you reset manually before and after the successful upload of the sketch?

You have to time the RESET just before avrdude tries to start programming the chip.  You must reset the ATmega328 so that the bootloader runs and can talk to avrdude.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

pcfr33k

Oct 07, 2012, 02:31 am Last Edit: Oct 07, 2012, 02:35 am by pcfr33k Reason: 1
I can see why I did not have this working correctly.  Is there a schematic or drawing on how to set up a manual switch?  Resistor between one side of the manual reset switch button pin and Vcc correct?  But inline with the reset pin of the Arduino Chip?

Cap in line with the reset pin #1 of Atmel328 and the other between the manual reset switch button pin and where would the other pin go on the cap?

I know I should know this but this is a non polarized cap so it should not cause an issue inline but will probably not work that way since one side needs a negative or connected to the other side of the momentary switch?

Go Up