Go Down

Topic: [SOLVED ... I think ;)] SD.exists(myFile) ie variable file name...how? (Read 2194 times) previous topic - next topic

JimboZA

Hi all,

I hope I'm missing something simple.  Code like below compiles happily, and is well known in the examples and various sketches around the place

Code: [Select]
if (SD.exists("page2.htm")) {
webFile = SD.open("page2.htm");        // open web page file
Serial.println("Opening page2");
 }

There, the file name is explicit as page2.htm and is in quotes.

So I thought I'd try with a filename as a variable, analogously to how one might Serial.print:

Serial.print("page2.htm");
Serial.print(myFile); // where page2.htm is already in the variable myFile.

Alas! When I try this, with the file name in a String parsed from an HTTP GET:

if (SD.exists(fileOne)) {
webFile = SD.open(fileOne);        // open web page file
Serial.print("Opening ");
Serial.println(fileOne);

... the compile fails with the line if (SD.exists(fileOne)) { highlit and the following message:

SD_file_parse.ino: In function 'void loop()':
SD_file_parse:100: error: no matching function for call to 'SDClass::exists(String&)'
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SD/SD.h:77: note: candidates are: boolean SDClass::exists(char*)
SD_file_parse:101: error: no matching function for call to 'SDClass::open(String&)'
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SD/SD.h:74: note: candidates are: File SDClass::open(const char*, uint8_t)

I have no clue what that's getting at....  =(

I'd be very surprised if there's no way to work with SD files through variables, so can anybody clue me in please?

TIA....

Jim

EDIT... is this because I have the variable in a String? Would it have worked with a char array? I have belatedly tumbled to that's what the error might mean.

MORE EDIT: I see there's a toCharArray(), I'm just going to see if that gets me out of this
Johannesburg hams call me: ZS6JMB on Highveld rep 145.7875 (-600 & 88.5 tone)
Dr Perry Cox: "Help me to help you, help me to help you...."
Your answer may already be here: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=384198.0

el_supremo

Would it have worked with a char array?

Yes. Give it a shot and avoid using String.

Pete
Don't send me technical questions via Private Message.

JimboZA

Would it have worked with a char array?

Yes. Give it a shot and avoid using String.

Pete

Yeah it worked when I converted the String to a char array.... compiled anyway, got another problem  snuck in but it's almost midnight so that will be tomorrow's problem.

I used String to parse the HTTP GET since those String tools to do that looked way friendlier to me than using string.
Johannesburg hams call me: ZS6JMB on Highveld rep 145.7875 (-600 & 88.5 tone)
Dr Perry Cox: "Help me to help you, help me to help you...."
Your answer may already be here: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=384198.0

Abhijit_Pal

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy