Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Pin 1 (Serial TX) usage  (Read 1182 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm currently working on an arduino sketch (EEPROM programmer) that receives serial data from a computer, then outputs data\address info through the I/O pins. However, I need one more I/O pin for the address bus... Since I'm only receiving data through the serial port, I was hoping that I could use pin 1 (TX) for digital I/O, but the Arduino wouldn't listen to my digitalWrite commands.

Is there any way I can use pin 1 in my project while still receiving serial data?

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

There was a modification of the HardwareSerial class posted recently that allowed read-only, write-only, or read-write access to the serial port pins.

Have you used all the analog pins, too. They can be used as digital pins.

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

If you use Serial it configures the hardware UART to take over pins 0 and 1 - in this case they cannot be used with digitalWrite().  Use SoftwareSerial instead perhaps?

Alternatively look at the code in HardwareSerial.cpp and figure out what to override.  [ or look the posting mentioned above ]

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,125110.0.html

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

I'm currently working on an arduino sketch (EEPROM programmer) that receives serial data from a computer, then outputs data\address info through the I/O pins. However, I need one more I/O pin for the address bus... Since I'm only receiving data through the serial port, I was hoping that I could use pin 1 (TX) for digital I/O, but the Arduino wouldn't listen to my digitalWrite commands.

Is there any way I can use pin 1 in my project while still receiving serial data?

The USART has priority over normal pin operations when it's enabled. You can disable the transmitter by clearing a bit in USCR0B.

Go read the datasheet for more details... smiley

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

View Profile

Thank you! I'll be sure to try this.

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Or look in the begin() function: the line
Code:
 sbi(*_ucsrb, _txen);
seems to be the obvious candidate.  Though that's in terms of variables and #definery.

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: