Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Memory overrun blows Arduino chip?  (Read 2487 times)
Dallas, TX USA
Edison Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Oh the bootloader is gone.
Its been while since i've tested it and I haven't tested it on 1.0.1 but the IDE used to check
the code size and if it was larger than the size specified in the boards.txt file (upload.maximum.size) it wouldn't upload
the image.
The issue was (at least it used to work this way) was that if you used ISP, you could gain the  bootloader
space but the space is still "reserved" by the IDE as it always uses the size in upload.maximum.size
to check the image size against
before uploading because it doesn't know if the programmer being used is using ISP or a bootloader.

--- bill

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

Oh the bootloader is gone.
Its been while since i've tested it and I haven't tested it on 1.0.1 but the IDE used to check
the code size and if it was larger than the size specified in the boards.txt file (upload.maximum.size) it wouldn't upload
the image.
The issue was (at least it used to work this way) was that if you used ISP, you could gain the  bootloader
space but the space is still "reserved" by the IDE as it always uses the size in upload.maximum.size
to check the image size against
before uploading because it doesn't know if the programmer being used is using ISP or a bootloader.

Are the fuses normally set to protect the bootloader?

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages...

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

All ISP programming starts with a "Chip Erase" command that will wipe out the bootloader as well as an previous sketch.

I had a chip go dead that was recovered by re-installing the bootloader with a real STK-500.  I don't recall what it had been running...

So I think we're still at the stage where "people think that this has happened", "it shouldn't be possible for it to happen", and "no one has identified a probable cause or demonstration sketch."

It is interesting that it doesn't seem to happen as often as it used to.  All that's changed is the chip, the bootloader, the core libraries, and the IDE...  :-)

Brisbane, Australia
Edison Member
View Profile

All that's changed is the chip, the bootloader, the core libraries, and the IDE...  :-)
That cracked me up, thanks smiley

Conversely to the apparent frequency of reports, the user base would have expanded significantly at the same time too...

Geoff

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse"
- retired astronaut Chris Hadfield

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: