Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Let's do a rally of meaningless complaints  (Read 6755 times)
CO, USA
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Also, I'm not happy with the color temperature of Sol. If we could just drop it a thousand K or so, that'd be nice.

... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

would all life end if they added a power switch to arduino?

2 ways to reset the stupid thing on board, and you have to yank the cord to wiggle a resistor!

Boston
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Flew on Delta airlines recently.
You have a touchsreen on the headrest in front of you to watch movies and tv shows and play some games.  Not a bad idea, but it also controls your overhead light.
I wanted the light on to read a book.   To turn the light on I had to watch a 30 second ad before I was able to get to the screen where you control the light.

Let me repeat.  I had to watch a commercial in order to turn the light on.
Epic fail.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Flew on Delta airlines recently.
You have a touchsreen on the headrest in front of you to watch movies and tv shows and play some games.  Not a bad idea, but it also controls your overhead light.
I wanted the light on to read a book.   To turn the light on I had to watch a 30 second ad before I was able to get to the screen where you control the light.

Let me repeat.  I had to watch a commercial in order to turn the light on.
Epic fail.

Epic fail or not, it's the sign of the times and such 'pushed commercials' are going to just get more and more prevalent in our daily lives.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

At least the commercial I watched at Omaha air port was followed by free wifi. I hate Delta and AA. NWA used to be fair but now it's all gone. There used to be NWA direct flights between MSP and PEK and I don't expect it to come back any time soon, since Delta has bought NWA.

Boston
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Epic fail or not, it's the sign of the times and such 'pushed commercials' are going to just get more and more prevalent in our daily lives.
Totally agree with this.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Totally agree with this.

Use ghostery for your web browsers. Some fancy flash stuff may not work but, walla, ads. are gone (mostly).

Belgium
Edison Member
Arduino rocks; but with my plugin it can fly rocking the world ;-)
View Profile

Totally agree with this.

Use ghostery for your web browsers. Some fancy flash stuff may not work but, walla, ads. are gone (mostly).
You can't stop it. There are already toilet commercials that play when you are taking a leak. Don't pee on your shoes  smiley-evil
Some companies are working on recognition techniques to play the most appropriate commercial for you.
Best regards
Jantje

Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Last time I was in Beijing, subway trains have Ads inside the tunnels and they chase the train for at least 10 seconds until the trains leave the station.You are not read a billboard while moving, the billboard is digital and image follows the train until they run out of the board.

I also often found news on yahoo that are just commercials. But as they are videos, you have to watch commercials before you can watch them.

God Member
View Profile

Let me repeat.  I had to watch a commercial in order to turn the light on.

I would probably go to the trouble of dropping an email to the complaints dept of the company whose ad you forced to watch to inform them that you had made a mental note to never buy their product or use their services. Ever. You find this form of advertising intrusive, rude and annoying, and people don't like companies who pay to be intrusive, rude, and annoying.

Then put it on twitter, and see if you can get some traction there. With any luck, they just might get the message.

Personally, I see the future of advertising as more intelligently targeted and discerning, if anything. This isn't the way of the future. This is just advertising "fail" at any time.

WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

Edison Member
View Profile

The flipphone is an easy cure, find the speaker and cut it's wires

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

You totally lost me here. But talking about flip phones, I just got one with a prepay plan. Amazing how much cheaper prepay cell is getting, a flip phone for $30USD and 30 minutes for $10, which expires in 90 days. A decade ago I could only do $10 that expired in 30 days. To be honest, my monthly plan is a total waste. I don't call a lot more than 30 minutes a month or use 200MB data but I am still paying $100 for two line family plan a month, a total ripoff. At&t only has 0.5 to 1 bar at my apartment, btw.

Maine
Caution: Explosives in use.
View Profile

You totally lost me here. But talking about flip phones, I just got one with a prepay plan. Amazing how much cheaper prepay cell is getting, a flip phone for $30USD and 30 minutes for $10, which expires in 90 days. A decade ago I could only do $10 that expired in 30 days. To be honest, my monthly plan is a total waste. I don't call a lot more than 30 minutes a month or use 200MB data but I am still paying $100 for two line family plan a month, a total ripoff. At&t only has 0.5 to 1 bar at my apartment, btw.

You might want to look into Ting (www.ting.com). They have great service (there are no "plans") for people that use little voice and data, but still want to have the option to use more without getting hammered with overages. I have use less than 100 minutes, 100 text messages, and 100mb, and I pay $14 a month. If I don't use any texts, I get credited the $3 that the plan normally costs, if I use more, I simply get charged for the higher plan.

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."

Electronic props for Airsoft, paintball, and laser tag -> www.nightscapetech.com

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

ting is on Sprint network, their data coverage isn't that good in my area according to their coverage maps.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

ting is on Sprint network, their data coverage isn't that good in my area according to their coverage maps.

Same here. Big hole of coverage in my neighborhood (less wireless radiation hazard for me?!) If I move to a larger city, I might try ting, seems cheap enough. I don't have/want iphone or their siri stuff. Heard rumor they send the entire voice over to apple to be recognized and send back. Could be a lot of 3G traffic.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Jump to: